• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sold a car now buyer wants money from me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold a car now buyer wants money from me

Hi , after some advice please. I sold a car on Tuesday that had 6 months left on MOT , I and my partner had been driving and was absolutely fine. I took the car to two places at the weekend ‘we buy any car and Evans helshaw and both said car was in good condition. I decided to sell privately as both places offered less than I wanted etc . I googled everything I needed to sell the car privately as I have never done before. A man called me to view on Monday and he looked all round the car, under the bonnet , checked all inside in terms of radio, lights, fans etc and checked tyres. He wanted a test drive so I said he needs to ensure car ( advised online to ask this) and he agreed to do so and came the next day. He proved insurance so he drove car , myself in passenger seat and his wife in the back. We went round in the car , I said go as long as you like to test and then he said that’s fine and drove back. He said I’m happy with the car so he paid cash and I wrote him a receipt which stated ‘ happy with car ,test drove and agreed price of £££ and signed. The next day he calls saying when he drove it it was pulling slightly to the left so he took the wheel off to have a look , he sent me a picture of this, I don’t know anything about cars! So then he asks for £400 as he called the garage and they said will cost £800 , he told me something to do with abs and caliper? I said no as the car was fine and I had no issues. He rang me again later that day and said the break has seized up but he hadn’t taken it to a garage just telling me and wanted £200 as he found a cheaper part. I spoke to CAB and told him they advised me I am not liable for the car as he bought it and drove it and was happy to pay for it and Id do all the right actions. He now says he’s taking me to court for the car being unroadworthy? Can he do this? He says he has a mechanical report 3 days after but I haven’t seen anything and he’s still asking for money! Sorry for the essay*
    Tags: None

stop worrying.
    You have no liability for the car and if he tried court he would be losing
    He senses you don't know about cars so starts talking about the abs system being faulty (Anti-skid Breaking Systems use wheel speed sensors to determine if one or more wheels are trying to lock up during braking. If a wheel tries to lock up, a series of hydraulic valves limit or reduce the braking on that wheel) and calipers (they squeeze the pads against discs to stop the car).
    The car didn't pull to the left when he drove it, and any seizing up took place after he bought it.
    And in spite of all that the principle is buyer beware.... he examined and test drove the car so tough luck on him if he didn't notice any problems.

Ignore him unless he is foolish enough to initiate a court claim

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X