• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

House rental / refund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House rental / refund

So we agreed to let our French holiday home for 3 months at a fixed rate paid up front.
    After just 10 days the tenants have left & are asking for full refund on remaining weeks of the term.
    I have offered a third back but they're insisting on full refund minus the time they've spent there? Who is right here?
    Tags: None

Depends on the agreement but I would say that you are entitled to the full sum unless you can re-let and then claim for your additional costs

Was there any reason for the early leaving? Can they not claim from their holiday insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      Depends on the agreement but I would say that you are entitled to the full sum unless you can re-let and then claim for your additional costs

Was there any reason for the early leaving? Can they not claim from their holiday insurance?
      Doubt they had insurance *a young couple who had secured a job 40mins away for the holiday season at a adventure holiday complex. Reason to leave was 1) house to cold for them 2) realised the workplace would mean a 90mins daily commute /300eur per month expenditure. Regarding 1) i did explain from the outset that the property was large ( 3 floors/ 3 beds) & only had a woodburner for heating . We wouldn't normally let until late March but they insisted they would be fine with it

Comment

Additionally there was no signed agreement* ,* *simply our email outlining the costs for 3 months clearly stating to be paid prior to moving in . Then a reply email stating they were happy to go ahead at the terms offered*

Comment

I would say that you have no liability to repay them and you made a very generous offer to them of a third back.

Put it to them that you will attempt to relet and if you are successful you will consider a repayment less your costs.

Comment

Id like to have reached a solution by negotiation but they will only consider full refund minus time spent & are threatening legal action ( though i doubt they would get anywhere on that footing )**

Comment

And what on earth would they be claiming in court? They got it wrong and want someone else to pay for it.* Why should you lose because of their failure. Keep all the paperwork in a safe place and no phone calls.

You could formally make an offer of a refund if you re-let, minus costs.* If they did try the courts then it would show that you have been reasonable with them.

Comment

Update as of 15mins ago

we have decided we will accept two thirds returned but no less

we look forward to this being resolved swiftly

*now i'm all for negotiation to reach a solution but laying it down matter of fact isn't melting my resolve at all .

Comment

Pushy lot they are, but I don't think you should even go there. If they try legal action to recover then I dont think they will succeed.

Make that offer of whatever you recover, less advertising costs, if you re-let.Head the letter "Without prejudice save as to costs".Possibly not quite the correct response at this time but they seem to think they know the law so this should just rattle their cage somewhat into believing you know more or have taken legal advice.

The last time I did this the person I was in dispute with buckled straight away.

If you do make that offer then you must make an attempt to get somebody else into the property, and document the fact

If my wife and I were in better health might just make you an offer.
                  Shame smiley faces won't work

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X