• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Single Justice Procedure Notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Justice Procedure Notice

Nvm, please delete
    Last edited by trav2591; 24th January 2020, 16:17:PM.
    Tags: None

There's nothing in that letter that defends against the points or fines- you're looking at 6 points for a s172 offence and 3 points minimum for speeding (if the police proceed on both charges - they often don't). The 6 points is a set figure and the 3 points is an absolute minimum for speeding so, if they proceed with both, then you do hit the 12 points, if you already have 3. The fine is likely to be just the Band C fine for the s172 notice.

You will not get off any lighter by already having had speeding penalties, if anything it would work against you.

Any mitigation you have given could be used to try and prevent a ban however a 'totting up' ban requires 'exceptional hardship' to be demonstrated for a defence - losing a job or college place isn't automatically 'exceptional'. Where there's the chance of a ban the Single Justice Procedure will refer to the case for a full court to be heard.

When did you get your licence ?

Comment

Originally posted by lgfa92 View Post
      There's nothing in that letter that defends against the points or fines- you're looking at 6 points for a s172 offence and 3 points minimum for speeding (if the police proceed on both charges - they often don't). The 6 points is a set figure and the 3 points is an absolute minimum for speeding so, if they proceed with both, then you do hit the 12 points, if you already have 3. The fine is likely to be just the Band C fine for the s172 notice.

You will not get off any lighter by already having had speeding penalties, if anything it would work against you.

Any mitigation you have given could be used to try and prevent a ban however a 'totting up' ban requires 'exceptional hardship' to be demonstrated for a defence - losing a job or college place isn't automatically 'exceptional'. Where there's the chance of a ban the Single Justice Procedure will refer to the case for a full court to be heard.

When did you get your licence ?
      I have held my license for 10 year. I think losing my job and place at university thus also meaning I will face the possibility of losing my home may be considered exceptional hardship no?

Comment

I think losing my job and place at university thus also meaning I will face the possibility of losing my home may be considered exceptional hardship no?
        Not always - A hardship effect on yourself is generally seen as being self induced and not exceptional in most cases (i.e. it could be a foreseeable effect of any ban that you lose your job, and that would not typically be exceptional). Exceptional hardship is far more likely to succeed where it's the effect on other parties. Ultimately it's the bench on the day who would decide on whether or not it's exceptional - you'd be questioned a lot more on the effects of any ban than what you've put in the letter.

The senior judiciary have only just recently put out an advisory to the lower courts to the effect that the term 'exceptional' is being applied far too liberally and needs to be tightened up.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X