• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Orthodontist threatening to charge £3000 for my sons treatment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orthodontist threatening to charge £3000 for my sons treatment

Hi, my son (18) is receiving NHS Orthodontist treatment for his teeth and has braces. He is over 12 months into this, and has broken his brace twice.* The receptionist told us they have a three strike policy and that if they break more than that that, they will either have to stop treatment or I have to pay £3000. This seems massively excessive, I can understand having to pay per treatment, but not that sum of money.*
    Can they legally do this?* or is this a scaring tactic to make sure he is more careful when eating?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Tags: None

https://www.bos.org.uk/Public-Patien...-NHS-treatment

Quote: The only exception is the charge for replacement of removable appliances lost or damaged beyond repair. This currently is £70.10 for a replacement appliance. In the case of replacement Twin Block appliances the price increases to £140.20. In general, most orthodontic problems qualify for NHS treatment apart from minor irregularities, (assuming that the patient is otherwise in good dental health). There are clear criteria about who qualifies.

The NHS contract for orthodontics funds all appliances, adjustments and repairs required during the entire treatment. The practitioner is free to choose whatever technique and appliance s/he wishes within these requirements. S/he is not under an obligation to use or offer any particular appliance. It is not permitted to charge patients under the age of 18 for an appliance or any part of the treatment, nor to insist that part of the treatment is undertaken privately before acceptance as an NHS patient. To do so is, in effect, asking to be paid twice. Any such practice is a serious breach of NHS regulations which renders the orthodontist liable to disciplinary action if reported to the local NHS Commissioning Team or the General Dental Council.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X