• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do I need a lawyer? Managing agent's contractors raided my flat whilst doing repairs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a lawyer? Managing agent's contractors raided my flat whilst doing repairs.

Firstly, thanks for reading. I was abroad while my flat's bathroom was renovated. I had agreed to this as nobody likes being without a bathroom for three days. When I returned three weeks later, all was well and then I realised that cash and other untraceable items were no longer there. Estimated loss is £2,600. There were no signs of forced entry and everything was in its place. As a result, my insurers and the police have no interest. Is it worth engaging a solicitor?
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear of your losses. but quite frankly engaging a solicitor is unlikely to recoup them, but will just cost you money.
    Do you have proof the missing items and cash actually existed?
    Is there any proof they were taken and not just mislaid?
    Can you prove the workman engaged to carry out the bathroom renovation took the items?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

Sorry to hear of your losses. but quite frankly engaging a solicitor is unlikely to recoup them, but will just cost you money.
      Can you prove the workman engaged to carry out the bathroom renovation took the items?
      Thank you for replying, DES8.
      I have receipts for some of the goods, and the cash? Everyone has cash. Well I suppose some do. I had brought Euros back from a trip which I'll need again soon and I have £, not more than £200 of those usually.

They are certainly nowhere in the flat any more. Their absence is conspicuous. The volume of goods would have been about 2.5 sq feet.

They were the only other people who had the key, and I was on the other side of the world.

It seems to me that the agent was in custody of the property while I was away. It wan't one man who was doing the work (it was a two man job) and I suspect that the other was casual labour. You know, off the books.
      Would you allow someone like that into your home?
      Then why did the managing agent do it with mine?
      I appreciate that showing that something that was there isn't, all of a sudden. I'm not lying - why would I? The flat looked completely normal - would you expect that from a burglar? Why only rob the two rooms that the workmen used? And why not steal everything, including high-value items? And why lock the door behind him with a deadbolt?

If I give the managing agent permission to perform work on the property that I lease, isn't it reasonable that it's not looted?

I am very grateful for your thoughts on this. I don't know, it might be worth taking a solicitor in to meet the managing agent and put the frighteners on him.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X