• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

24 hour removal notice - Please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 hour removal notice - Please help

Hi All,*
    looking for some advice, i owed a council tax bill from 18/19 for £872, a bailiff from jacobs came to my property on the day i came home with my new born daughter. I didn't let him into my premises and dealt with him outside, in the end i was corned into paying the full amount. When i'd done that i was told i needed to pay the bill in full for 19/20 which was £968, they agreed to a payment plan on this of £60 a month starting on dec 17th a month later (i had every intention of paying this) but i lost my job a few days later, i missed the dec 17th payment, in the meantime i have secured work again and was looking to pay £60 today, however a bailiff has attended my property from jacobs and issued a 24 hour removal notice if not paid in full.
    What can i do? now i'm working again i'm happy to pay monthly but can't afford to in full, we have two young children at home and i don't want this at my door tomorrow

thanks

Reece
    Tags: None

Has he gained access to your home previously? Is there a Controlled Goods Agreement in place?

Comment

Hi ploddertom, i posted as a guest but have signed up to be able to reply.*
      no i didn't allow him entry, i stepped outside, shut my door and only dealt with him by his car. No there isn't, just a payment plan we agreed

Comment

I note you mentioned you had just returned home from hospital. In that case when did this happen and how old was the baby at that time? How many children do you have and what age(s) are they?

At present his threat of removal is just that. He has no automatic right of entry to your home and cannot force entry. He can however take anything of value from outside - usual target would be a car and would suggest if this is at risk then park it elsewhere, preferably on a neighbours driveway.

Comment

she was around 4/5 days old, he came to the door following the health visitor, but i refused him entry when he asked to come in.*
          This was the first week of november (2019).

We have 3. One is 10 weeks, the two boys are 2, however one only stays at the weekends.*

The CAB told me to ignore and avoid him, in order for him to return the debt to the council so i can organise a repayment plan with them.*

All i want to do is pay a payment plan to clear it, but he will only accept payment in full. He has text me to say that he will look to take my car.

Comment

Your best bet is to contact your local Councillor(s) and ask they intervene on your behalf. The Agent should have withdrawn as at the time he called you were clearly vulnerable - you should have been allowed 6/8 weeks grace following the birth. The arguments you can use with your Councillor(s) are:
            1 - the Agent should have withdrawn and notified the Council of your vulnerability due to the very recent birth of your baby
            2 - he is insisting on payment in full only - not something you can do - again due to the recent birth of your baby
            3 - you have made what you believe to be a reasonable offer of payment over xxx weeks/months which will clear the debt in its entireity

Best contact with any Councillor is initially by phone and you can find details from www.writetothem.com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X