• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Water supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water supply

Hi. I live in a semi detached cottage down a private lane, on the side of the lane was at one time a small meadow. After living here for 25 yrs, planning permission was given for three properties to be built on meadow. Properties were built, after approx 6 years we discovered our mains supply ran through the gardens of these properties. Just recently we have been approached by one owner to say our pipe had a leak in there garden. We were informed by the owner we are responsible for the repair, having phoned our insurance they inform me that it is not our responsibility. Contacting our main water supplier we are told it is our responsibility.
    I have checked on the ofwat site that suggests its a shared responsibilty, but is confusing.
    Any advice please.*
    Tags: None

Are you the only property using this supply pipe?
    You mention your property is semidetached, so is your neighbour's water supplied via this pipe?
    Are the new built homes supplied via this pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Are you the only property using this supply pipe?
      You mention your property is semidetached, so is your neighbour's water supplied via this pipe?
      Are the new built homes supplied via this pipe?
      Thank you kindly for reply.. Semi detached,Two properties only, we both share the one supply. The new properties have there own individual supply. At the top / entrance of our lane there is four main stop cocks, three for new builds, one for our cottage properties. when water supply enters our cottages it is Td off to each property having our own stop cock in our front garden.. Regards.

Comment

I was always led to believe you are responsible for the pipe work within your properties boundary Any pipe work up to your boundary is the responsibility of the supplier IMO

Comment

So it boils down to whether or not the pipe between the mains and your property and your neighbouring property is a shared supply pipe or a communication pipe.

Your supplier is obviously opting for a shared supply pipe which makes you and your neighbour responsible, and I suspect they are correct.

Ask the utility company for an answer in writing, and then re-approach your insurers* (not forgetting your neighbour has a 50% share in liability!)

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            So it boils down to whether or not the pipe between the mains and your property and your neighbouring property is a shared supply pipe or a communication pipe.

Your supplier is obviously opting for a shared supply pipe which makes you and your neighbour responsible, and I suspect they are correct.

Ask the utility company for an answer in writing, and then re-approach your insurers (not forgetting your neighbour has a 50% share in liability!)
            Thank you.* *We now have a meeting for next week with supplier along with all affected home owners, it will be interesting to see how this turns out, as our supplier and insurance cover is one of the same. Both of which have told us this has to be a priority because of us both being affected by long term health issues.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X