• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP demanding money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLP demanding money

I was caught stealing from Superdrug last week and have received a fine for £165. I’m a student and can not afford to pay this. Read a few threads saying to ignore the letter but am really worried as my future career aspects involve jobs which require a detailed personal check. Would rather just pay if it could affect my future? The police were not called nor involved in any way. I genuinely can’t afford it and they said I have 21 days to pay. What do I do?? Any advice would be massively appreciated!!

You ignore. It is not a fine, only the courts can issue fines. They are claiming for their perceived losses, which were zero as the goods were recovered. No police then no criminal prosecution therefore no record

Comment

Yeah that’s exactly what I’ve been reading in most of the threads it’s just many of them were from a while ago so wasn’t sure if they had cracked down on it or anything. They said the fine would increase as a result of failure to pay, do I just ignore this? Sorry I’m really worried about the whole thing and was my first time doing anything this stupid! Really embarrassed and don’t want it to affect me later in any way for just one silly mistake. I also have quite severe mental health issues which the staff were pretty rude about. I was tormented about not having a job as the lady interviewing me bragged that she had three jobs when she was at uni and I tried to explain I was on doctors orders not to find employment on top of my studies but they didn’t understand. Now looking for jobs even though I know I probably shouldn’t purely to try and pay this fine and also because I felt pretty embarrassed about not having one!

Comment

It's not a fine !! They have no authority to issue a fine. There has been no loss

Comment

Hate to jump on your thread but I have done the exact same thing last week from superdrug! I have also recieved a letter from rlp today and its shaken me up I have no idea weather to pay it or ignore it.. mines £100 just for a stupid 4 pound moisturizer which I gave them back once caught! I was also verbally abused by the security guard and made to feel belittled for stealing which I obviously no is wrong but they look at you like you have robbed a 500 pound worth of items when in reality it was a stupid mistake which at the time you didnt think about and instantly regretted.

just replying so you know you're not alone in this lol, I have no idea what to do either. Stressing me out. The humiliation was enough to stop me from stealing again! Let alone this fine too and the ban from the store which I'm gutted about as I love superdrug and havent ever stolen before! I spend so much in there too yet I just stupid stole one small item yet paid for so much.

Comment

IGNORE IGNORE and IGNORE AGAIN.

They are parasites who run their own version of the law just like vigilantes
            In the UK we have civil and criminal courts to enforce the law
            Civil recovery firms are an American import which should be stopped from operating.
            They use intimidation and empty threats to obtain money from their victims and IMO have no place in the UK

Comment

So if I ignore they genuinely won’t do anything? Just seen a lot of posts on here about this but no one ever comments on what happened after they ignored the letters. Sorry I do trust you all and massively appreciate the advice but am shit scared too!

Comment

You are meant to be scared!
                That is how they extort money from people who owe nothing
                There is nothing on the forums about what happens if you ignore letters, because NOTHING HAPPENS.
                If the advice was incorrect, don't you think that disgruntled posters would have come back complaining about crap advice

Now forget it, and get on with your life

Comment

They did try once many years ago but got so soundly trounced in court that they have not been back for a repeat.

Try looking here, the infamous Oxford case
                  Category: Civil Recovery (http://legalbeagles.info/category/helpandadvice/civilrecovery/) Earlier this year we published the judgment in the case A Retailer v

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X