• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi All.....driving license revocation and PCP help required!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All.....driving license revocation and PCP help required!

Good Evening,

I am posting to hopefully gain some advice regarding my ongoing contract with BMW. I took a contract out for a used car having given my previous car as a part exchange deposit.

All was going well with the car and I was extremely happy with the service from the dealership. However, unfortunately I suffered a seizure back in May and my driving license was revoked for 6 months.

I rang up BMW to assess my options who said I could either give the car back to them and pay the premium or buy the car outright. I wasn’t in a position to do either and asked if I could get the car insured with a family member or friend. They said on the phone this would be fine providing I was still paying the direct debits to which I agreed.

Fast forward and I was asked to forward over a copy of the third party insurance and was advised in the letter that “once done no further action was necessary”. I then received a further email advising I needed to send a copy of my insurance policy being cancelled and a copy of my letter from the DVLA confirming the ban. Unfortunately an oversight on my part as I completely missed this email despite having informed them off this via the telephone. Upon realising my error, I sent over the information quickly via email but they are upholding their decision to terminate the contract leaving me with a huge deficit to find in the next few weeks - I suspect it will leave me out of pocket by £4-6k.

I have never missed a payment and been upfront and honest about my circumstance with BMW. They constantly reiterate that they are following their process - it seems that this process applies to everyone whether they have had their license revoked for medical reasons or have been done for drink driving - if it was the latter I would have less sympathy for myself.

As it stands, the contract says I must have insurance in my name for the duration of the contract. As my policy was automatically cancelled and I was unable to take out a new policy in my name under any circumstance then it was impossible to fill the contract. It was for this reason that I rang BMW to query whether I was allowed to insure the car under a different name which they said was fine. What the contract is effectively asking from me is a guarantee of my health for 4 years which is impossible and I’m advised could potentially breach the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977. I personally have no idea on the legalities of it but I am sure I have a leg to stand on.

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Regards,

Ross
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X