• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Done something stupid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done something stupid

About a year ago I got desperate and took out a log book loan. I work in a pub full time but the money just didn't cut it so I had no choice.

The man who took my log book loan said that he would give me money to witness him signing something, and that because I had a law degree albeit 10 years ago, I was professional and could do it. He said all I needed to do was write my name and address and sign. Then sign his receipt book as well which I think was for him to claim the money back from his boss.

I think this is going to come back and bite me, because I shouldn't have signed it because he did my own log book loan so it's not like im independent. He wrote down that I was a solicitor and said it was fine because its like car insurance where you pick the profession closest to you. I said it was wrong but I had already signed by then.

He said the form goes to the court and is sealed in a vault. I don't know why or what that means. I signed 8 of them but not my own. He asked me to sign more the following week but I said no because I thought we'd done wrong. He said we hadn't. He's since taken very ill and doesn't work for the log book people anymore.

It was only like £40 he gave me but it paid the food shop that week and I was so desperate.

Should I write to the court and explain what has happened? I don't even know which court it is, he just said it was sealed in a vault at court and he posted it to them. I'm scared my name's on a register somewhere. I don't even know what exactly I signed, is it a bill of sale? I just know he signed it then I did. Then after he wrote or ticked solcitor I can't remember which but it's the same pen so it's not like I can prove otherwise.

If someone defaults or gets the car repossessed I assume it comes out of the vault and it will then all come to light?
    Tags: None

I have no idea what you signed, but the courts don't have vaults. So, it was a lie from beginning to end. Have you repaid the £40? Who has the 'logbook '?

Comment

I think I explained it bad. Basically I took out a logbook loan from a well known company. The guy they sent out to assess the car etc was a bit of a charmer.

He said he needed someone to witness his signatures on things and was paying for each one, but it would be easier for him if I did it because I live very close to him. I think he claims the cost back from his employer as he asked me to sign his receipt book as well.

The things I signed were for other peoples' log book loans - I was signing to witness the man's signature. (Not the client's). The loans were already paid etc as they get paid within the hour, I was basically signing something to say I've seen him sign it. He gave me £40 to sign 8. This isn't anything to do with my own logbook loan.

He said I should write 'solicitor' as it's the closest profession to my degree, and that the papers got sealed and stored in a court vault. I dont know if it was bills of sale, I barely read it. I am pretty sure now that you have to be a commissioner of oaths to sign it as I vaguely remember him saying "oh that doesn't matter anyone can do it" when I asked what it was.

My logbook is apparently sealed at the court - high court maybe? With my own bill of sale, until the loan is repaid. I think if I remember correctly that these things I signed go with the logbook

Comment

In post 1 you said that the loan agent wrote down that you are a solicitor. Now, you're saying you wrote it. That's a big difference.

If you were purporting to witness the loan agent's signature that may be okay, as he was present and confirmed that the signature on the page was his. You obviously couldn't witness the borrowers' signatures.

There is nothing you can do about it now, anyway.

Comment

Incidentally, cars don't have logbooks any more.

Comment

is it not bad that it said solicitor? im pretty sure he either ticked it or wrote it on the first one, then i just followed suit on the last 7. it was either ticked or written cant remember.

when i handed him my v5 logbook i signed a sheet and he signed it. im certain this isnt what i witnessed him sign for others.

what happens if someone defaults or has their car repossessed, will they get this form out and find out? as they might be looking to prove the bill of sale was valid etc

Comment

Without knowing what you signed, nobody here knows whether there could be consequences. It's possible you've done the borrowers a big favour, and their loans are not valid. More likely, nobody will query it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X