• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reclaim PPI Amazon Gift Cards Scam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclaim PPI Amazon Gift Cards Scam

Hi, I took at call today from an individual supposedly from 'Reclaim Services' (PPI) regarding some old payment protection finance I took out years ago for a car I bought. This company had obtained my details from somewhere. Anyway they called me to say they had successful won my PPI claim and that I was due £3,639 payable by chq and £1,200 cash. They would need to charge me 10% plus VAT which is very low compared to most other PPI companies who charge 30%++

Anyway, an asian guy gave me a claim no, ref no and said that I would need to prove my ID to a guy who would call round to give me the chq and the money (sounds too good to be true right!). Amazingly this guy lived less than 1/2 hour away and was called Paul Wilson (quite a common name I hear you say). After proving my ID by way of a passport, utility bill or something else to Mr Wilson, he would release the chq and cash to me. However, during Mr Wilson's visit I would need to pay their commission using an Amazon Gift card (slightly, nay very unusual), its all about money regulations apparently (what a load of tosh!), so he said go out and buy a gift card and afterwards call Derek, their Accounts Mgr to conclude things. He would then instruct Mr Wilson to come to my property to release the chq and cash. So playing the game I waited 1/2 hour and called Derek (I'm sure that's not his name!) . He asked if I bought the card and told me to take it out the envelop and scratch off the silver strip on the back to reveal the numbers to him. Well if you know anything about gift cards, once you share these numbers, they will use them to purchase something and the card will be useless. Thus the scam is complete. Mr Wilson never arrives and you have just the value of the Amazon card, in my case it would of been £200.00 However, knowing this was a scam I let rip into him after pretending to had the cards and scratched off the numbers. I won't elaborate much but, scum bag, low life, get a job, loser, go jump off a bridge etc were a few of my comments. Praying on the vulnerable, which I am not, how low can a human being go???

I'm sure there are variations on the scam but I hope you get the gist....if its too good to be true it probably is and never pay strangers with gift cards

Their number was 0118 328 0301
    Tags: None

Honestly, I feel for you. Sounds too good to be true nowadays. People are trying every method to get something free. I had also a story with a man that tried to trick me. He called me and said that he is a bank representative, and he found some issues with my card, then he asked me to confirm my identity and my card number and so on. Well, I didn't believe him. But about the gift card, you can not just give its number to a stranger. By the way, I will not buy ever again a gift card, knowing that I can get it free. I heard that you can get paid for just watching videos or searching the web with some apps. I finally found on a website free gift cards app, Swagbucks and Ibotta are the most popular.
    Last edited by Nalina; 10th January 2021, 16:21:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X