• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dog fight incident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog fight incident

Hi can anyone please give me some guidance.
    My dog was involved in an incident with another dog recently where my dog by a freak accident got off her lead and managed to get away from the person who was walking her. My dog then has ran over to another dog and bitten that dog. The injury sustained to the dog was minor and only one small puncture wound that wasn't bleeding. The man who owned the other dog while the dogs where fighting has tried to pick up his dog and in turn gotten a injury on his leg. I have contacted my insurance and they have said I wont be covered for any type of claim.
    My question is does the third party dog owner have any liability as he choose to try split the dogs up or would that lay on me?
    My dog did not attack the man, the man simply got in the way of an fight between two dogs.
    I realise that the dog getting off the lead was our responsibility however accidental or unintentional it was.

Any guidance would be appreciated
    Tags: None

Ref your insurance: what sort of insurance are you referring to?
    Many contents policies include personal liability, which generally covers such incidents as you describe, although with certain exclusions eg dangerous dogs.

The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 makes it clear that if an incident takes place the owner and the person in charge of the dog at the time are both guilty of an offence, but it is a defence for the owner to prove that the dog was in the charge of a person whom he reasonably believed to be a fit and proper person to be in charge of it.

The fact that the other owner was trying to separate the dogs will not be a defence (although I expect he has learnt a lesson!)

Has the incident been reported to the police by the bitten party?

Comment

Hi if an incident that takes place the owner and the person in charge of the dog at the time are both guilty of an offence, but it is a defence for the owner to prove that the dog was in the charge of a person.Mainly Dog owners have a legal responsibility to prevent their pets from injuring people or damaging property.But I dont have correct information regarding the dog owners incident claim...

Comment

The parents of the dogs are to blame. They didn't look after their pets. You may need to consult a veterinarian about your dog's behavior

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X