• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car hire and damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car hire and damage

tipoff 24th July 2019, 15:25:PM
    Hello Legalbeagles,
    You have helped me in the past so I hope you can help again. My son is on holiday in Croatia, he has hired a car with the normal car insurance. He has literally had the car one day and someone in a car park has stat he'd the side. I am attaching the terms and conditions as they are quite confusing, contradictory. He is concerned that he will have to pay £800 excess for the damage even though it was caused by a stranger. Can you give any advice

https://www.sixt.co.uk/faqs/insurance/#c349017
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

What is "normal car insurance"?
    SIXT offer a variety of policies, plus the option of purchasing Loss Damage Waiver plus excess reduction options .
    Was the vehicle rented in Croatia, or elsewhere?

Give us the details and we can read and perhaps point in the right direction.

Do you know if he has details of the offending driver?

Comment

No the driver drove off. He rented the car from England. This is the only information I can give

https://www.sixt.co.uk/faqs/insurance/#c349017
      appreciate any advice, sorry I cannot give too much detail. Thanks

Comment

Without knowing exactly what cover he purchased, and the wording of that cover, it is impossible to give anything other than general advice.

Assuming he did not buy collision damage waiver, and the policy was subject to an £800 excess, Sixt will certainly bill him for it.
        However they are only entitled to the £800 if the repairs exceed that amount.
        Sixt have a reputation for going for the maximum, so before he hands the car back it could be worth obtaining some written quotes for the repairs from reputable bodyshops.

Was the car in pristine condition when he took delivery, or did it already carry the scars of previous damage?
        That could affect any claim Sixt make against your son.

Comment

When you take the car insurance normally the insurance company gives you a quote based on the likelihood for making a claim in the future.And suppose that If ahire car isdamaged or stolen, there's a limit to how much the renter will have to pay to repair or replace . Excess is simply the name for that limit.If there is damaged to the car I think the policy wont help at any cost.And the renter only have to pay the total car repairs like cars,tyres wheels engine ,interior.And the sixth protection packages which allow renters to further reduce the excess...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X