• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Excess milage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excess milage

Hi Have just spoken to my finance company who were not at all happy with me wanting to voluntarily end my contract. She was very difficult on the phone and made a point of telling me I will have to pay the excess mileage. I hear so many contradictory advise that this has now made me worry as to whether I should proceed. My excess mileage amounts to £1,500.
    Tags: None

Up to you whether you want to proceed or not - if you do proceed, either pay it or don't.

There's plenty of info on this forum about excess mileage you need to make the decision yourself about what you should do.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin s View Post
      Hi Have just spoken to my finance company who were not at all happy with me wanting to voluntarily end my contract. She was very difficult on the phone and made a point of telling me I will have to pay the excess mileage. I hear so many contradictory advise that this has now made me worry as to whether I should proceed. My excess mileage amounts to £1,500.
      Thank you Rob, I appreciate that it is my decision. I was just wondering what the outcome of others in this predicament. Did they end with court proceedings? Was they eventually bullied into paying? And the million dollar question are the financial companies legally entitled to charge for excess mileage. I just wanted to clarify before terminating my contract. Thank you for any help.

Martin

Comment

Read this VT Guide and then read this link for a successful case in a County Court when Mercedes tried to claim excess mileage charges - a copy of the judgment is on the last page.

To answer your question, lenders will say yes but consumers will say no.

If the finance company is BMW or Barclays then you might want to consider the effects of VT and refusing to pay. BMW in particular apply late payment markers to your credit file and will continue to do so until you agree to pay. My view is that it's a breach of data protection for recording inaccurate data but the only way of winning something like that wouldbe to go to court and if you aren't prepared to do that, then you might as well pay them or suck it up.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for your help Rob. I put the wheels in motion today VW finance were not too happy and threatened me with all sort of bills I will receive . I will deal with them as and when. Luckily enough my son in law owns his own body repair and alloy wheels refurb company so any minor scratches will done. The only thing I guess they will hassle me for would be the excess milage. My big concern though they told me it will now effect my credit rating, is the case?

Comment

I am not aware on this forum of VW applying adverse markers on people's credit files but that's not to say they dont and wont do it.

You can pursue your complaint through to the Financial Ombudsman who are currently reviewing their decisions on excess mileage charges - previously they said that excess mileage was fair and reasonable but since the Mercedes case, they've paused all complaints to review the decision. Hopefully they will find in favour of consumers and lenders will be forced to back down but theres no guarantee at this stage.

Otherwise, cross that bridge when you come to it.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
              I am not aware on this forum of VW applying adverse markers on people's credit files but that's not to say they dont and wont do it.

You can pursue your complaint through to the Financial Ombudsman who are currently reviewing their decisions on excess mileage charges - previously they said that excess mileage was fair and reasonable but since the Mercedes case, they've paused all complaints to review the decision. Hopefully they will find in favour of consumers and lenders will be forced to back down but theres no guarantee at this stage.

Hi Rob, thank you for your amazing help. The finance company are now arranging to collect the vehicle. In an email they have stated that I would need to sign the inspection papers etc. The car is in immaculate condition as I have had any minor scratch repaired and alloys all re done. I read in the article you sent me the link too, not to sign any paperwork even if they say they will refuse to take the car. Could you please clarify if this is still the case and should I refuse to sign. I will have my own photos and videos of the car date stamped before they collect.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post

Sorry one more question. This is what they will require me to sign, should I politely decline?

Thank you.

Comment

rob Could you please advise. My car is being collected tomorrow. I know the advise is not to sign paperwork would this include the inspection report. Should I refuse to sign ALL paperwork?

Thank you.

Comment

You don't need to sign anything, if you agree with the contents then feel free to sign it. They can't force you and if they threaten to abandon collection then let them do it and inform the agent that you'll inform the finance co. that you are going to sell it since they abandoned the car. Do not feel pressured into signing anything my VT guide explains all of this, I suggest you go back through it and re-read again.

Document and photograph everything - V5C, keys, spare wheel etc.
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X