• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rejecting car within 30 days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejecting car within 30 days

Hi - I bought a Jeep Cherokee 2.8 2009 locally in mid June with a 3 month warranty from a trader. I asked for the advisory oil leak on the MOT to be fixed during the full service and MOT I was offered as part of the sale.
    On driving it home a week later I felt nauseous and had a headache. I phoned the garage and arranged to take the vehicle back the following week. They said it was a defective fuel filter causing fumes which had been replaced in the service and they would put in a new one. Drove home and still did not feel good driving the car. I had it inspected by a friend who works as a mechanic who found a significant oil leak. We also found that the Air Con was not working and it had a wheel bearing noise. I agreed to take it back again to the garage with a written list of items that I was unhappy about. I had to hire a car for the weekend as they had no courtesy car.
    Picked up the car after the weekend - they said the oil leak was due to a loose bolt holding the starter motor and some kind of copper washer and said it had not leaked all weekend, said nothing wrong with the wheel bearing, the aircon was working and very cold - by the time I had driven 20 miles I felt ill, headache and falling asleep at the wheel. After two days the aircon was not working again (I have been told that that the pump is not engaging) and everytime I drove the car I felt unwell.

I took the car to another mechanic who agreed to inspect the car and write a report. He found it still had an oil leak from the rear of the engine - possibly from the bell housing, wheel bearing noise on one wheel and the alternator belt was split - which he would have expected to have been replaced on the initial service. He smelled oil in the car cabin.
    I wrote a letter requesting to reject the car within the 30 days. The garage has asked me to take it in to be inspected by them and if they disagree with my issues to get an independent mechanic to look at the car.

My questions are: As I have already given them the chance to repair the car once do I need to take it back to them for inspection and if so should this be at my cost or theirs?
    I live quite a way from the garage. If I do take the car back and they agree with my issues do I need to agree to a repair or can I continue with my rejection? - same for if they disagree with me
    and it is sent to an independent mechanic and he agrees with me.

The car is parked on my driveway as I cannot safely drive it without getting headaches and have had to insure and tax a small car a friend has lent me.

Does anyone know if gas from an A/C unit can get into the car cabin as it seems as if the A/C unit is losing gas.

Before receiving the reply to my recorded delivery rejection letter I had booked the car in to have diagnostics on the A/C to see if there is a gas leak, if so why and where the gas is going.

Any suggestions/advice?

Consumer Advice have been very helpful but sometimes very hard to get through to them.

I don't feel safe driving the car as it makes me feel unwell and I nearly fell asleep at the wheel.

Suffolklady
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X