• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim land adjacent to home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim land adjacent to home

Hi I am the owner of a detached house for 38 years. The house has a grass area that to the right between the house and the footpath / highway. I have always cut and tended for the grass etc. Is it the case that I could claim ownership from the council and if so how do I proceed ? Thank you Alan
    Tags: None

Have a search for "Adverse Possession".

Comment

You might already own the land but it might be classed as highway.
      Your description is a tad unclear, but I'm assuming there is a roadway, then pavement then grass area upto your fencing

Comment

Yes thank is correct. Highway, pavement grass area and then boundary of my property. Thank you

Comment

Frontagers (freeholders of land fronting the highway) could well own the freehold in the subsoil up to the mid point of the road. Your deeds or registration title should show that, although there is a common law presumption about owning up to the midway point, or all of it if you own land on both sides.

The extent of the highway is normally hedge-to-hedge./ boundary to boundary, but the interest of the highway authority is usually only the surface and a sufficient depth to allow maintenance.

They are unlikely to allow a restriction in the width, but there is no reason not to ask.
          Doesn't ask doesn't get, but don't be surprised if your request is declined
          Good luck

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X