• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Email payment fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email payment fraud

The email chain from the company putting in my new kitchen flooring got intercepted and I ended up paying the cost of the work into a fraudulent account. My bank has contacted the bank that holds the fraudulent account, but cannot guarantee there will be any money to return. Who is responsible? I thought I paid the right person and so cannot see why I should be responsible in this case.
    Tags: None

Hi,

Sorry for the situation you sadly find yourself in through no fault of either party.

Unfortunately you are ultimately responsible in making sure the money is sent to the right account. While I appreciate this is a a terrible situation that has occurred neither yourself or the other company are at fault.

I would not expect the banks to intervene much as there has been analogous cases which have seen the banks basically wipe their hands as they offer no protection in account to account transfer.

The bad news is that you will need to pay the money owed to the company and hope the bank can retrieve at least part of the money if not all. I would speak to the company, explain the situation and hopefully they will be more lenient in arranging a mutually beneficial agreement of paying the money to them.

A few pre-cautions for next time to safeguard you from this issue would be to send a small test and contact the company/person to see if it has arrived before sending the rest of the money. There is also a app/site called PAYM which allows you to check the name of the account holder before hand which could prove very handy.

Hope this helps.

The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X