• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour's Right of access across my drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour's Right of access across my drive

This is a question concerning potential trespassing by a neighbour in order to be able to gain access to their car parked on their property.

A new neighbour recently moved into a house next to my daughter's house. The street is narrow and on street parking is limited.

Between the houses is a space but no fence from the pavement for about 4m, there after there is a fence (and then further on a hedge) between the properties. On my daughter's property (approx 3m width), there is sufficient space to park her car and get in/out of it entirely from her property as there's no garden wall. (This is in-line with the perceived boundary as the fence starts some 4m from the pavement)
    The neighbour's side is significantly narrower (approx 2m). They have been parking a small car there very close to their garden wall but cannot get in/out without either walking over my daughter's drive or via the rear door of their hatchback. If my daughter's car is parked then they cannot open any doors apart from the rear tailgate.

As far as we know there are no rights of access between the properties. The previous occupant never parked on this very small "drive".

The new neighbour reacted angrily when my daughter tried to discuss this, as she does want to have to move her car every time they need access to theirs, and sees no reason why she should grant them access rights (when she's not there) .

What is my daughter's legal position? Should she write to them explaining access rights?

Any advice welcome.
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Start by checking both Land Registry entries, ie hers and the neighbour's.

Comment

I suggested to my daughter that she should do nothing and "put the ball into the neighbour's court". So after a few weeks they have given up parking in the confined space, so for the moment the problem is "resolved".

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X