• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overpayment of underpayment of wages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpayment of underpayment of wages

Hello

I am looking for some advise.

In June this year I was informed that I had been underpaid for 4 years and that I was due arrears.
    I was told n writing what this arrears would be and the money paid in to my account 2 months later.

Despite requesting a breakdown, I was told one would be on my wage slip, it was not, but as HR had emailed me the amount as confirmation, this was the amount I believe I was entitled to.

I therefore used to underpayment on a mortgage deposit and moved house.

Fast forward to last week, I have now been told that I was overpaid on the underpayment. I am unsure what to do, given that I have confirmation of the areas payment, spent it in good faith on a mortgage deposit. The money I was expecting was correct on my wage slip.

Please help.
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

Generally in these types of circumstances the person with the overpayment has a defence of "change of position" ie because he genuinely believed with good reason that the money was his and it had been spent in a non recoverable manner, the money cannot be recouped by the employer.

Presumably your employer is not requesting repayment of the total amount

However presumably you wish to remain in employment so you may wish to negotiate with your employer, pointing out to him that it was solely his error and despite requests he had not provided the breakdown.
    Perhaps turning the overpayment into a long term no interest loan?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X