• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can I take this guy to SCC? - Mis selling of a motor vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I take this guy to SCC? - Mis selling of a motor vehicle

I bought a car which I saw advertised on ebay from an 'private seller'. Only interaction I had was with him at the point of sale as well. Log book was in his wife's name though. Have had car for 14 days and it has stopped working. Had 2 auto electricians and it still will not start. Found out his is a trader and has his own Ltd company. Have spoken to Trading Standards and issued the rejection letter within the 30 days. He is refusing a refund although the auto electrician found tape over the engine management light, and that the wires to the steering column lock have been disconnected (not an MOT failure apparently). He is now saying the auto electrican may have caused the fault, although he spoke the the garage that did the basic checks and admitted that he knew there was a fault when he bought the car but didn't tell us at the point of sale. He thought it had been resolved. I feel really cheated, the car cost us £3000. Have just spoken to my house insurance legal team who are saying we may not have an argument against him because it was his wife's car, although every interaction was with him and we didn't know it was her car until we had given him the money. So who would we take to SC - him or her? Is it worth it? Not sure we can prove it was an on going fault but we do have evidence showing the engine management light covered over. I just don't know what to do and am grateful for advice. Kindest regards.
    Tags: None

He did the selling. Who was the cheque or payment given to?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      He did the selling. Who was the cheque or payment given to?
      Money was given to him at his home, which is also his business address.

Comment

If you can provide evidence that he was a trader then write formally to him and tell him that you are rejecting the car under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and tell him you expect repayment of the amount paid within 14 days or you will take legal action against him.

Then after 14 days start a MCOL claim.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X