• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

JBW issues Red Route Fine - Husband had died.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBW issues Red Route Fine - Husband had died.

Hi there.

I have just received a letter from JBW wanting £513 for a Red Route contravention. This is the first I heard about it. My husband died very suddenly and abruptly in the August and the fine was in the October - we had not even had the funeral by then and I was in a right state. I have sent them the death cert and said I am happy to pay the oringal fine but not 5X - what can I do? -
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

Sorry to hear of your husband's passing and subsequent problem.
    Whilst I could ask all sorts of questions, I do believe your best course of action is to ask for help from the Pepipoo forum (http://forums.pepipoo.com/)
    They are the acknowledged experts on this sort of situation, but if you don't get the help you want, come back here.
    Good luck

Comment

Who is/are JBW ?

Comment

http://www.jbwgroup.co.uk/making-a-payment/ ??

Comment

My own view is that you do not need to pay this at all. The "contravention" was committed by your husband, not you. Sadly he had died, but that does not mean there is a transfer liability to you. You have told them that he had died and quite frankly I do not see what else they can do.

Comment

Died in Aug and Fine in October indicate that the OP was driving.

Comment

The will have to join the queue for payments from the estate. I was just wondering if it was a real double red line or a private parking company making it up.

Comment

This is a real ticket via Council or TfL. It has got to £513 as all other notifications have been ignored.

You say your husband sadly passed away in the August, what date was the offence committed? Is the October date the first notification you had about it?

Comment

In all probability your husband was driving, but it is not a 100% certainty in the eyes of the law. Without firm evidence, nobody can know for sure. That's why they send out the particulars to the owner of the vehicle, purely to establish the facts. I just do not see how thay can pursue you for this. If they are aware that your husband has passed away, one would expect them to write it off. Don't admit anything to these people.

Comment

Is anyone reading the OP post properly?

Husband died two months before. More than likely that the OP was driving.

Comment

A red route penalty charge is £130, reduced to £65 for payment within 14/21/28 days depending upon location. The fact that the sum has escalated to £521 would suggest that this has dragged on for some time, with the price going up to the current level in stages. So it is perfectly feasible that it could have been in August, or even earlier. Perhaps the PSYCSARAH can clarify if it was her or her husband that was driving?

Comment

Originally posted by thedirtyhound View Post
                        Perhaps the PSYCSARAH can clarify if it was her or her husband that was driving?
                        It matters not who was driving, the legislation holds the registered keeper responsible not the driver

Comment

.. but if registered keeper names the driver liability falls back on driver who may or may not have been OP's husband.
                          But as OP has not returned we may never know

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                            .. but if registered keeper names the driver liability falls back on driver
                            No it doesn't. This is a council/TfL ticket, liability ultimately lies with the RK

Comment

Sorry ...You are of course correct.

But we don't even know to whom the ticket was issued

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X