• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I got my driving license illegally. How best can I approach this to correct my wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my driving license illegally. How best can I approach this to correct my wrong?

Back in 1991, I allowed somebody to impersonate me to do my driving test for me which he did and passed. Since then, I have been driving with the license. So far, no one knows about this. But recently, I realized that it was a really wrong thing. I am currently at age 50 yrs old. I am willing to restitute for this and start afresh if allowed (i.e to take the test again.) What is the best way to approach this and perhaps, if I can get reduced punishment. I admit I did wrong. Any suggestion will be useful.
    Tags: None

Re: I got my driving license illegally. How best can I approach this to correct my wr

For driving without a licence (which is what you effectively have been doing) the penalties can include:
    • Penalty points on your licence (that's the new one you would have to apply for!)
    • Fines of up to £5000
    • Face a ban of acquiring a driving licence for a period of time
    • Additional costs from potential car insurers (you have given your insurers false information)
    • Difficulties finding employment in certain job fields
    • Paying for any damages you may have caused (you were uninsured and any insurers who paid a claim on your behalf could make a claim against you)

The person who stood in for you would also be in trouble if identified

Admire your desire to "put things right" but, without condoning the matter I think perhaps you could regard yourself as if you obtained a licence prior to the test being mandatory! The problems caused by confessing, IMO, far out weigh any practical improvement.

Comment

Re: I got my driving license illegally. How best can I approach this to correct my wr

+1

For all intents and purposes you have a driving licence. IMO you would be opening an unnecessary can of worms

Comment

So you have been driving now for 28 years and hopefully without incident so can only assume that you now have the experience, which is what the test is all about in reality. I do not condone what you did then but best just shut up now and forget it.

There is no reason that what you did could be identified now, other than you telling people.

Comment

As ther others have said, its a long time ago, none will have the records from back then, but driving is a responcability and your really should not be driving without passing the test.

If you feel the need to put things right, dont drive at the moment, , arrainge mock tests with a local driving instructor till you pass, then, at least you know your a compitenmt driver
          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X