• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Independent Medical Examination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independent Medical Examination

A friend of mine has had her driving licence revoked by the DVLA because of information received alleging alcohol dependence.

She does have a history of alcohol related issues, but has never been disqualified due to a drink driving offence.

If she attends an independent medical examination at a DVLA approved doctor, can she expect an unbiased report, and if the independent examination is found in her favour, will she be able to override the DVLA decision and have her licence re-instated?
    Tags: None

Re: Independent Medical Examination

Hi and welcome.

A lot will depend on who reported the alleged dependence, but assuming it was a medical source she will probably need to show 12 months abstinence plus a medical examination.

The DVLA take a strong line over alcohol problems for obvious reasons
    Just because she has not been prosecuted for a drink driving offence does not mean she does not pose a danger to others

Here's a link to DVLA website: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drug-or-...hol-dependence

Comment

Thanks for the reply, probably what I expected.

I would guess that it was her GP. Unfortunately she suffers from a potentially life threatening disease and is undergoing numerous tests at several hospitals. The stress of her situation has led to periods of alcohol indulgence and overnight stays in A&E departments, I appreciate that this should not be an excuse to over indulge, but is it likely that the DVLA may take her on-going health problems into consideration if she appeals?

Having her licence revoked will have a major effect upon attending future appointments for clinics and treatments.

Comment

Certainly she could try, but please don't build her hopes.
        Also, even if successful the process takes forever!
        The DVLA do not take into account the effect on the individual.

I've a friend who had his licence revoked for health reasons, which were over reactions.
        In spite of consultant letters in support it took months to have his licence returned

Comment

Thanks once again for you reply which has confirmed what I feared.

I will encourage her to ask her consultant to write a letter on her behalf and see
          what transpires.

Meanwhile, is there any point in trying to arrange for an independent medical
          examination?

Comment

AFAIK the DVLA require a DVLA appointed doctor and the medical consists of an examination and a CDT blood test.
            Might be easiest to make enquiries off DVLA.

Regarding the test on another site
            I found this advice which might be useful:
            "I'm due for my 4th DVLA medical in 7 years for the same reason as I can only get my licence back at intervals as my results are inconclusive of misuse, maybe because of the following so be aware!
            Anyway, I usually for 2 weeks beforehand don't drink at all or take any drugs, including paracetemol as these make the liver work harder but are not known to be tested for anyway. I have found that Milk Thistle available from health food shops taken 3 times a day lowers one of the enzymes (AST) the blood test looks for but cannot find any method to lower the other two as these (GGT and MCV) are only high due to long term misuse and only 6-12 months alcohol free will reduce these.

The acceptable levels are quite high that the DVLA look for and as a heavy drinker I have only ever failed once due to the AST level being 2 points over their level and was well within the others. Also cut down on cigarettes and fatty food for the two weeks prior and drink plenty of water as the Milk Thistle needs this to clear the liver. I recommend 2 litres a day. Take multivitamins and eat fruit and try and get some exercise too. You'll be the healthiest person on the planet for a fortnight and you should pass the blood test, after you've parted with the £96 (as at 14/9/09) medical fee.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X