• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCP self termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCP self termination

I am a new member and would like to say hello to everyone. I have read some of the posts on this topic and found the information very useful when I made a call to Nissan yesterday. Basically, I need to return my car as its effecting me financially and preventing me from being able to proceed with a mortgage. I am 2 years into the contract and was told yesterday I am two months away from the 50% mark. I was given two options, one is to pay the shortfall of over £600 now to bring me inline to the 50% or continue to make repayments for another two months, costing £378 a month. I would like the debt off my credit file asap but will struggle to pay the £600 now.

Do I have an option to return the car now without paying even though I am slightly below the mark. Also, once you terminate, how long does it take for the debt to be removed from your name?

thanks
    Tags: None

Re: PCP self termination

Hello,

From a legal perspective, your right to terminate can take effect any time before the final payment becomes due but unfortunately (and bizarrely) almost all lenders seem to refuse to accept this position. If you gave notice to terminate now, you are still liable for the two months remaining to make up the shortfall but consideration by the lender should be taken into account where they are asking you to pay a sum of money you cannot afford in one lump sum - the FCA Rules covers this somewhere I believe. Therefore if you can afford to pay in 4 monthly instalments for the £600 you could offer to do that, but it would be helpful to explain in your letter that due to financial reasons, you are not able to pay the sum in one amount and propose a reasonable repayment plan.

In terms of removing it, that will depend how fast their department works. It should be updated within a reasonable amount of time but this could also be up to a month usually as credit reference agencies generally update records at the end of the month or thereabouts.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob,
      Thank you for your reply. I spoke to Nissan earlier and they have sent me the pack. There is a form enclosed for me to sign which also mentions I accept the excess charges if I have gone over the mileage which I know I have. Should I not sign this and look for your template to give notice?
      Many thanks

Comment

Whether you sign it or not is entirely your decision. However, if you do sign it then Nissan might hold you to it and say that you agreed to pay for excess mileage charges and you are bound by it and immediately you are on the back foot. In practice, section 100 limits your liability and does not allow for the recover of damages/compensation for breaching the agreement. Section 173 of the CCA specifically says that a lender cannot contract out of these provisions under the Act and if they attempt to do so, then that clause or condition is deemed to be void.

The reality is that it is probably going to be much more hassle to trying to argue out of it if you do sign it than just not signing at all. Nothing in the CCA says you need to sign any of their paperwork in order to terminate the agreement.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Interesting as we are considering handing back our car to go another marque as the discount offered is greater and the depreciation is much less over the full term. we will see what happens, right now we need it over the winter as weather isn't looking great and it has intelligent AWD which we need here if it snows.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X