• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Spam Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam Problem

Seriously spam posts are becoming a serious problem, not only do they ruin the site they lead to some visitors not joining due to high spam which usually occurs in bouts of spam whilst admins are offline. The easyiest way to combat spam is block all new members from posting links in their first 3-5 posts - This will stop spammers posting and reduce the amount of spam needed to be removed each day by admin. Its a simple solution and and won't have any negative effect on the site as most genuie posters coming here for help do not have to post links or images up until say 10 posts down the line.

This morning the site was choc-a-block with spam posts, and its bloody annoying especially when the recent posts section is full up with it. Try reporting it and i have to wait 60 seconds between each report, before i can report another 1.

I know the site team are doing the best they can, but stopping them from posting links in the first 3-5 posts is a 2 minute job to implement or at least it is on Yabb based forums! And reduction in spam will also free up admin's time to do other things too. So come on guys lets stop the dam spam.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR
    Tags: None

Re: Spam Problem

There's been a recent rise in spambot activity across the board, not just limited to here.
    My other site has been hit hard as well...
    We already have some automated measures in use, but we'll have a look at some others as well..
    The ones that really need reporting are spam posts within threads.
    If they are new threads on their own they will be taken care of quite quickly as we receive notification of each new thread started..
    Last edited by Curlyben; 8th April 2012, 08:13:AM.

Comment

I noticed one spammer recently who had the details of spam in his siggie and not in the main post.

Also, quite a lot of them are getting onto the twitter.... you suddenly see the Channel handbags or other type of spam appearing. You might delete them from the site but once they go on twitter they may still be there.

Comment

Doesn't help that a couple of members think its a game to reply to them either, please refrain from baiting them guys, it makes it harder for me to ban them and we all know I'm prone to the odd gaff, ie banning the wrong person, ooooops sorry lol.

Comment

Mea Culpa, Sapphire. Didn't realise that. Knuckles rapped & @r$e kicked !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
            There's been a recent rise in spambot activity across the board, not just limited to here.
            My other site has been hit hard as well...
            We already have some automated measures in use, but we'll have a look at some others as well..
            The ones that really need reporting are spam posts within threads.
            If they are new threads on their own they will be taken care of quite quickly as we receive notification of each new thread started..

Thats true, the spam bot activity is on the rise, i myself started a forum up for my own company (though its hardly used as i haven't rerally promoted it yet), and it gets about 400 or so spam bot attempts to create accounts each day, all of which fail due to the captcha system and the need for a username and account name. Though sometimes the spammer do get past this by manually creating an account, but its only like once a week, and even then when they post with links their posts are blocked to to links not being allowed in the first 5 posts from a new member. When they realise that they can't post links they usually bugger off elsewhere.
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
              When they realise that they can't post links they usually bugger off elsewhere.

Yep - I did! :beagle:

Comment

we now have Chanel handbags at least 6 different spammers at present time and no one to kill them and they are coming up on twitter.

Comment

As we used to say on a fb group we were on.. please dont feed the trolls!!

I have posted dont spam here in the language they spam in *opps* but i dont know how to report the threads.. im a bit fik.

any one lemme know how please?

Comment

Click on the orange "!" triangle in the top RH corner of the text window, Puff.

Comment

ahhh ty!!!

Comment

LOL - I guess I'll be doing that in the future, now !!!

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
                          Doesn't help that a couple of members think its a game to reply to them either, please refrain from baiting them guys, it makes it harder for me to ban them and we all know I'm prone to the odd gaff, ie banning the wrong person, ooooops sorry lol.
                          Lol yeah like banning me for example - though i think that was revenge for my jokes. Very subtle

Comment

Lol yeah like banning me for example - though i think that was revenge for my jokes. Very subtle
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTIGV9mKuLQ

Comment

Dreadful jokes actually

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X