• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is it just my sense of humour or......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just my sense of humour or......

do others find this funny ?

Curb for pensioners scooting too fast

A curb on speeding mobility scooters has been imposed by police following a spate of collisions and near misses as pensioners lose control.
    Elderly riders have been told to set their vehicles to walking speed - 4mph - when riding through a town centre.
    This follows an accident at the Clock Tower shopping centre in Rugby, when a pedestrian suffered leg injuries. The town's police have received numerous complaints from shoppers and workers, who had to dive out of the way of scooters.

The top speed of the electric machines is 8mph - the same as someone jogging - but they are often driven on pavements.
    Chief Insp Bob Musgrove said that anyone found persistently "speeding" could be taken to court and fined.
    "Mobility scooters are used by elderly and disabled people, so we are not talking about young joy riders," he said. "They are not designed to go fast in the normal sense of the word, but if they collide with someone they can cause a serious injury.
    "Although this issue has been raised in Rugby, the message is the same throughout the county. People riding mobility scooters should be aware of other people and should slow down in crowded areas.
    "Those who consistently ride irresponsibly could face court action."
    David Foster, 62, of Rugby Disability Forum, himself a mobility scooter user, said: "It is imperative that people observe the correct speed limits. I do see a few whizzing along pedestrianised streets where there are a lot of people and I see mums and children having to dodge out of the way."
    Last edited by enaid; 11th April 2008, 06:34:AM.

Re: Is it just my sense of humour or......

This story reminded me of my Mum with her electric wheelchair bombing arround the nursing home, all the walls had chips in them from when Mum used to go speeding nown the corridors - knocking anyone over who got in her way. I bought her a new electric chair just 2/3 weeks before she died and the nursing home told us that they had turned the electric of and the chair had to be used manually - as my mum was a danger. I think she must have clocked up points - and got disqualified.

Once when she was having a respite holiday, to give my Dad a rest and we went to visit, it was a nice day and we suggested to go in the garden, before we had a chance to put the ramp, my mum went full steam ahead and flew out of the lounge - we were all horrified, but she landed perfectly well.

Dxx

Comment

I can see the funny side, but I have also been on the receiving end! My F-I-L has an electric wheelchair and he is always bashing into furniture, walls and people (including myself and my young kids, who have near enough learnt to stay out of his way!) The chairs are very heavy and can cause some nasty injuries. Some of them do have variable speeds but most users use the top speed and my F-I-L thinks it's funny that we are always having to dodge out of his way! I dread to think what he's like when he's out among the public lol.

I was in a supermarket last week where a lady was using one of their mobility shopping carts...she kept running into the shelves and had to be pulled out by security when she was stuck....that was funny!
      You can't scare me, I have children.

Comment

Well, it was only a matter of time before they could think of somebody else to fine for something.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X