• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Any mathematicians in the house, please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any mathematicians in the house, please?

It sounds quite straightforward, but my brain wont engage.

I'm looking to calculate the amount of interest on a sum of money owing, when that sum of money is increasing on a daily basis over a period of 6 months (well, it increases 5 days out of 7, but interest would accrue 7 days out of 7). The interest shouldn't be compounded.

To give an example of how the amount owing increases -

1st October 2013 - Amount owing £0.00
    2nd October 2013 - £3.15
    3rd October 2013 - £6.30
    4th October 2013 - £9.45
    5th October 2013 - £12.60
    6th October 2013 - £12.60
    7th October 2013 - £15.75
    8th October 2013 - £15.75
    9th October 2013 - £18.90

The amounts given are a running total, excluding any interest. As you can probably see, the debt increases by an amount of £3.15 each day (excluding Tuesdays and Sundays)

Need to calculate the total amount owing as at 11th April 2014, based on an interest rate of 8% and the interest not being compounded.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
    I am a Paralegal Consultant.

This means I am not a Solicitor/Barrister/Advocate. I work in Legal Services, however I cannot offer services which are defined as "Reserved Legal Activities" under the Legal Services Act 2007.

Anything posted here should be taken as opinion or general information, not legal advice. It is not possible for me to offer legal advice based on the limited details which can be posted on an open forum. Where possible, I will offer guidance and relevant information, but neither myself nor my practice can be held liable for events resulting from actions taken based on information or opinion shared here.
    Tags: None

Re: Any mathematicians in the house, please?

Excuse my ignorance but how can a balance of nothing incur interest?

Comment

Sorry, perhaps not clear. I only included the balance at 1st October to show that there was nothing owing prior to 2nd October.

The increase in the amount owing each day as shown above has nothing to do with interest, that's an increase of the capital amount owing which continued to increase between 1st October and 11th April. Interest hasn't been taken into consideration at all yet.

This means I am not a Solicitor/Barrister/Advocate. I work in Legal Services, however I cannot offer services which are defined as "Reserved Legal Activities" under the Legal Services Act 2007.

Anything posted here should be taken as opinion or general information, not legal advice. It is not possible for me to offer legal advice based on the limited details which can be posted on an open forum. Where possible, I will offer guidance and relevant information, but neither myself nor my practice can be held liable for events resulting from actions taken based on information or opinion shared here.

Comment

My brain hurts thinking on this one sure someone can help

Comment

Haha, glad I'm not the only one! I'm usually good with numbers, but this one is just a jumbled mess.

Thanks for taking a look though, appreciate it.

Comment

hi
            i get £447.30 that is 28 weeks x 5 day per week @ £3.15 per day (which takes to 9/04/14 ) +£6.30 for 10/11 0f april =£447.30

Comment

That bit I can manage.

I now want to be able to calculate the interest on that increasing balance, at a rate of 8% per annum, which accrues each day but is simple rather than compounded.

That's where I get lost, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ThinkOutsideTheBox View Post
                That bit I can manage.

I now want to be able to calculate the interest on that increasing balance, at a rate of 8% per annum, which accrues each day but is simple rather than compounded.

That's where I get lost, lol.
                well the simple way would be for example if you deposited say 400.00 interest @ 8% per annum = £32.00 divide by 365 =0.08p interest per day sorry if i have read your question wrong

Comment

The difference is that on each day the amount owning is different, therefore the interest amount is different.

Only on 11th April 2014 will interest be chargeable on the full total of £447.30, so on that day 9.8p would be the interest charge.

On 5th October 2013 for example, the outstanding balance was £12.60, so on that day only 0.27p would be the interest charge.

If it was a steady balance each day then it would be easy to calculate (like a fixed deposit amount), and if it was a balance which increased by the same amount every single day then I could come up with a formula to do it...it's the fact that it's an increasing balance, but only increases 5 days out of 7 and accrues interest 7/7 that is throwing me. Just can't make sense of it in my head to come up with a logical way of calculating. :noidea:

Comment

Originally posted by ThinkOutsideTheBox View Post
                    The difference is that on each day the amount owning is different, therefore the interest amount is different.

Only on 11th April 2014 will interest be chargeable on the full total of £447.30, so on that day 9.8p would be the interest charge.

On 5th October 2013 for example, the outstanding balance was £12.60, so on that day only 0.27p would be the interest charge.

If it was a steady balance each day then it would be easy to calculate (like a fixed deposit amount), and if it was a balance which increased by the same amount every single day then I could come up with a formula to do it...it's the fact that it's an increasing balance, but only increases 5 days out of 7 and accrues interest 7/7 that is throwing me. Just can't make sense of it in my head to come up with a logical way of calculating. :noidea:
                    its not 0.27p its was 0.0027p so not even a penny interest on 5/10/13

Comment

That's what I said, 0.27p, not £0.27.

Precisely why I can't just assume the whole 8% interest on the total balance over the course of the 28 weeks, as the amount accrued each day varies considerably.

Comment

Its a bit hard to help precisely without you saying where and what these charges are for

However--I have assumed they are some sort of PENALTY incurred daily of £3.15--except on Tuesdays & Sundays for some odd reason.

You are after the simple interest of 8 %.
                        The way to do this is to calculate the number of days that have elapsed since EACH SEPARATE CHARGE to the date you want the calculation to--and multiply by the daily interest rate of 8%/365 { in practice I have used .00022p per day which is accepted by the courts)

On the enclosed spreadsheet I have effectively entered every date from 2/10/13 to 11/4/2014 inclusive
                        This results in 192 days @ £3.15 per days penalty but excluding Tuesdays and Sundays--resulting on a total of £434.70 in Penalties

The Interest at 8% on EACH SEPARATE CHARGE is shown in the last column and totals a mere £12.21 as of the date in red of 13/5/2014--change it if you want earlier date

Hope I have understood your requirements--if not let me know--Spreadsheet follows:

TOTB-v2.xls

Comment

Who was that masked man ?

Comment

Hmmm---don't understand that comment?----Please explain

Only trying to help

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                            Who was that masked man ?

Comment

Originally posted by Turboman View Post
                              Hmmm---don't understand that comment?----Please explain

Only trying to help
                              That makes 2 of us...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X