• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The Family Tree thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Family Tree thread

Hi everyone, a few of us a researching our family tree's so I thought a nice thread would be an idea, we can exchange ideas, experiences and anything else.

Ok I'm doing mine with Ancestry.co.uk
    Tags: None

Re: The Family Tree thread

Unfortunately my family tree is too complicated to unravel,,,secrets died with people..so it's from 1962 for me ,,but Good Luck n Happy Heritage Hunting xx (ps,,joining today )

Comment

I have the same problem on my dads side Inca, for years and years (since 1972) I've searched for my family in Australia, and only a few weeks ago found them, since then my Auntie is over here and I've met her twice and we've shared so many things, she's coming to our party on the 1st. Myself and my hubby are going over to Melbourne in March to stay with my cousin for a while and if everything goes ok, we shall be going back for Christmas/New Year 2013 as the Ashes starts then and my cousins son is an Umpire at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) and has already promised VIP tickets for the test.

If I were you I'd give ancestry a go, you can get a free trial, its amazing what you can dig up with a bit of patience.

Comment

I think I might try actually,,,,I have tiny inklings of real names etc and I have a rough idea of countries etc (Mum was born abroad) If I dont like what I find I can always stop looking x

Comment

we are using a bit of ancentry and my heratage, which does a good family tree and does a smart search , my ancestry itself is excellent for the cencuses but annoying to say the least , when you look up birth certificates you only get a registary entry no mothers maiden name or dads. and to get the certs you need to check you have to pay for the full birth/wedding/death certs.

and I am actually a bit freaked out at the mo as we have links to a sugar company AND an art gallery. but have to delve deeper but cannot seem to get past all these williams born in the late 17,00's and nothing on sites to help
          sigpic

Comment

So whats the deal with Heritage please ? Have you got the site address ?

Ancestry for those who don't know do a monthly subscription, I think I pay about £12 ish.

Comment

myheritage.com

its is cheaper too at 4.50 0r 7.95 per month but billed anuually cheper than ancestry
              sigpic

Comment

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/
                Free birth marriage and deaths records, totally free, no registration or subscription required.

https://www.familysearch.org/
                Mormon geneology back to the 1300, again free no registration or subscription required..

Does anyone know how to set out an adoption on a family tree?

Comment

Can't you just add 'adopted and the date' alongside where the birth and death details are ?

I'll take a quick look on ancestry and see if they have a guideline on it for you.

Comment

Ok on that site when you build the tree there is a facility to put relationship, its a drop down box with a list,

Biological
                    Adopted
                    Step
                    Foster
                    Related
                    Guardian
                    Private
                    Unknown

So I guess the best idea if your not using a site like that for your tree is to put a note stating that the person was adopted.

Comment

I tried the free birth website,unfortunately where I was born doesn't come up yet,,but like it says,,,a work in progress so will keep trying At least I know my details are real cos I have my birth certificate so it's a start

Comment

if you want some help hun,shout of me, ive been doing this for yonks!

Comment

Originally posted by messimoo View Post
                          we are using a bit of ancentry and my heratage, which does a good family tree and does a smart search , my ancestry itself is excellent for the cencuses but annoying to say the least , when you look up birth certificates you only get a registary entry no mothers maiden name or dads. and to get the certs you need to check you have to pay for the full birth/wedding/death certs.
                          Copy Certificates from Ancestry are Quite expensive at £22.99 for standard delivery(up to 16 working days) and £39.99 for express delivery(up to 6 working days)

You can order through Directgov for £9.25 Standard or £23.40 priority

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...ates/DG_175628

CJ

Comment

Used to be another thread on here like this-can't find it though -- and search facility is crap now

Comment

My wife's done her family tree through Ansestry and got all the way back to 1200's, her 8th great grandfather married Millicent Morley in the 1600's who was related to Edward III Plantagenet.
                              As for my side we've only managed to go back as far as 1600

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X