• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

A rant.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rant.

I am so annoyed, have contacted the police and cancer research about this one!

Before I rant, I used to have hair to my waist, and being of Irish stock, its thick wavy Irish hair. I read a article about a little girl who wanted a curly wig after losing all her hair to chemotherapy, and chopped over 18 inches of hair off to make her dreams come true, we raised over £1200 for Cancer Research by doing this, so I'm not anti cancer charities.

My rant starts on Monday evening, I live in a little village so theres not a great deal of noise once the kids go to bed, it was 830pm. My kids had just gone to bed, and I had literally just left the room as 2 1/2 year old had finally given in to sleep.
    As I reach the front door (gotta walk past it to get to the living room) there is a barrage of knocks, I swear I thought Jack Nicholson was gona poop up HEEEEEEEEEEERES JOHNNY, the dogs start barking (and our girls are HUGE), I open the door and there are 2 lads of about 20 years old, full Cancer Research gear. Do I want to contribute to their charity?
    Do they know what time it is? I retort. The elder guy has the nerve to look at his watch and say 8:34pm, may we count on your donation?
    As this is a family show, I won't repeat what I told him, but the air took a distinct shade of indigo.

Tuesday, about 7pm, we had just had tea, and the kids were in the tub before they went to bed, BANG! Again the Hounds of the Battersea start barking fit to burst, I open the door, Cancer Research. Can they count on our donation. I have this yellow sticker thing, we do not buy and sell at the door etc (reminds me I need a bigger one) I point that, and the time out, and close the door with the words donate online.

Wednesday, first they arrived at 11am, then 3pm, then 5pm.. then 915pm!! Each time the dogs went bananas, the house shook with the banging and it took a lot of coaxing to get the cat back in. In the end I told the only donations they would get is a dog's tooth in the backside. I told them that 9:15pm was a ridiculous time to be calling calling me and to go forth, multiply and fall off a cliff!

Friends, 725 this morning, the 2 idiots from last night banged on my door and asked if now was a better time to discuss payment options. The only left my driveway when my neighbour (who was going to work at the time) threatened them with a power drill!

I called South Yorkshire Police to complain about the harrassment to be told "this is a civil matter, take it up with Cancer Reasearch". I called Cancer Research to be told "our campaigns collectors are externally sourced. They are beyond our control". I contacted SYP again, said i wished to report the matter as it is a nusience, put through to the Safer Nieghbourhoob Muppets (as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike) who told me they needed to refer it to the Police (You tell people you ARE the police you cretins) ad the Police would call me back.

I had a PC (nice enough guy so I wont put his name on here) who is going to liase with Cancer Research on my behalf.. 25 mins later I get a woman on the phone who introduced herself as Mandy and very snottily barked out "you do realise that our campaigns raise millions for VITAL work in a cure for cancer?"
    I snapped back she did realise that I have 3 small children, 2 dogs and a thing called a LIFE that her employees were making a misery, and didnt the money I donate and the charity events I have held count as fundraising?
    Then she got REALLY abusive, calling me self centred and hateful. I obvously hadn't lost anyone to cancer thats why I was so ungrateful to them. No, I havent lost anyone to cancer, just had my best friend of over 30 years take an overdose and take his own life because he couldnt bear the treatment for lukemia anymore, and my aunt isnt my aunt is she? or my uncle.. Oh and granddads cancer wasnt cancer was it?!
    She told me my donations were nothing to the amount the doorstep collectors raise, so i said well give me my hair back then! Told her my story of cutting all my hair off, and Cormac's story (RIP hun, I miss you). She told me I was evil and uncaring.

I am awaiting my pet policeman calling me back, and the She Devil from Hells manager calling me back after listening to the tape of the call.

But friends, it will be a cold day in hell before I donate another penny to them. EVER.

Marie Curie.. please send me a direct debit form.. and between us we WILL beat cancer.
    Tags: None

Re: A rant.

its terible when people use guilt as a push for a donation, there sick in the head. respect to the hospice that work for cancer patience.

Comment

in 5 years i have lost 8 people to cancer (3 friends, a friend's 8 year old son, an aunt, 2 friend's mothers ad the man i classed as my grandfather) thats without counting my big idiot Corm. For someone to ask me had I felt the pain of losing someone to cancer and to say that I had no idea what it felt like to say goodbye?!

From now on I am supporting PACT (Pedactric Acute Cancer Treatment) who are based in Sheffield. If anyone wants more details, Please PM me.

Comment

Hi Puff,

These chuggers are a menace and doing a lot of damage to charity fundraising. I am the chairman of a registered charity (Just been re-elected for my sins. Only joking.) and one rule that is very clear is that there are very strict rules regarding the use of outside contractors. As for the person who rang you and was so abusive, I would strongly advise you to report this to the Charity Commission. Their telephone number is 0845 3000218. Do not push Option 1. That is for charity trustees and appointed representatives only.

Marie Curie is an excellent palliative care charity whom I am always willing to donate to when they are doing collections at my locals Morrisons and Tesco. Macmillan are as well. Hospices are also well worthy of support.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

ty BB i most definatly be doing that.

Comment

That is disgusting behaviour and needs to be stopped, I don't suppose you got the woman's details ? If you have them I'd write a very strong letter in and get her sacked, plus the muppets who have the collections contract. Anyways as a cancer sufferer I would like to extend a massive thank you to you and everyone else who raises money, it is so, so important for the research, and of course lets get a cure for it.

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
              That is disgusting behaviour and needs to be stopped, I don't suppose you got the woman's details ? If you have them I'd write a very strong letter in and get her sacked, plus the muppets who have the collections contract. Anyways as a cancer sufferer I would like to extend a massive thank you to you and everyone else who raises money, it is so, so important for the research, and of course lets get a cure for it.
              Cancer treatment has come along in leaps and bounds over the years, Sapphy. The word "cancer" seems to have lost its ability to scare the life out of people. Alzheimer's is now being regarded as the illness that scares the life out of people.

Comment

UPDATE!!!

Cancer Reseach UK head office have contacted me. The woman's supervisor was so disgusted in the attitude I was subjected to she forwarded my complaint, along with the recording, to her superiors.
                I am assured that the full letter of their law will come down on her head, including but not limited to internal disciplinary action.
                PC Brent has told me that tonight there will be a special patrol in our village, as we have a sheltered accomodation near by and one person's family have complained she signed up to £6 per month (thats a lot for an OAP) to get the men off her door.

Agreed he suggested I do not put a sign up with Doorstep Collectors will be fed to the dog ("Don't want the poor lasses getting stomach aches do you?) but instead put Charity Contributions made by direct debit in the window.

so, on the whole, a good result.

Comment

Many moons ago I used work on a charity committee raising money for Cancer Research. I then found out that 97% went on administration. So I would never donate to an organisation like this.

We have always donated to Mac Millan nursing who do a wonderful job and since I was diagnosed with cancer recently we increased the donation DD.

I would never be bullied into giving a donation and would tell anyone who comes to my door to sling their hook.

Well done Puff.....

Comment

Well done for that, Puff. Like you, I now turn doorstep collectors away with the declaration that I never conduct business with cold-callers on the doorstep - but I have never experienced the harassment that you did. I fear that organised charities are now being used by thugs and scammers who probably cream off (as 'admin. costs' - as confirmed by Tuttsi) most of what we donate. I dare say that the heartless and insensitive bitch who you spoke to is probably an ex-employee of one of the CMC's or DCA's that come and go.

FWIW, Mrs-K lost her Dad to cancer 3.5 years ago, and the MacMillan & Marie Curie nurses and advisors were brilliant. Mrs-K's Mum set up a Direct Debit to make monthly donations to MC, and she herself has also had cancer removal surgery over the past months. recently, she got a phone call from MC asking her to increase her donation. I advised her to stop donating, as that was rude and ungrateful to say the least. I also believe that to have been an indication that MC is now being run for the benefit of its employees and agents. IMO, it's bad enough that cancer research, treatment and care has to be funded by charities - but when those charities start to go rotten from within, then I start to lose MY will to live.

Comment

I dont give to doorstep collectors FULL STOP i will only give to local childrens charities and hospices that fund raise themself as with everything in this country too many people want to put their hands in the till.

Comment

http://pactfriends.co.uk/

This is our local childrens cancer charity, I can gaurentee that 100% of the proceeds go to the kiddies, as my hubby has a mate whos son is fighting lukemia (and beating the bugger may I very proudly say).
                        I proudly wear my PACT bracelet daily, I am thinking on growing my hair again (being Irish it grows like wildfire, I cut it 2 weeks before i went away and its touching my shoulders now) and having it all cut off!
                        see how much I can make this time... ALSO!!! if any of you are on facebook, and play Yoville, if you see a character called Captain Fartsalot, give him a big cheer.. he's my idiot brother raising money for Parkingsons disease.

Comment

Bizarrely, enough, Puffrose I was about to get you the email of Mike Parrish who is CEO of Cancer Research UK when lo and behold I was beaten to the punch, so to speak by them getting in contact with you. I do think that the aggressive nature of those people coming to your door was very much out of order only to be compounded again but the person on the phone having absolutely no clue as to how to deal with complaints apart from throwing in some lines that are pretty obvious. Who in their right mind complains about charities if something that was done, ie aggressive touting of their monthly donations, was not extraordinarily OTT?

Glad to hear that they got there first cos I might have got there just after you, lol!!!
                          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by puffrose View Post
                            UPDATE!!!

Cancer Reseach UK head office have contacted me. The woman's supervisor was so disgusted in the attitude I was subjected to she forwarded my complaint, along with the recording, to her superiors.
                            I am assured that the full letter of their law will come down on her head, including but not limited to internal disciplinary action.
                            PC Brent has told me that tonight there will be a special patrol in our village, as we have a sheltered accomodation near by and one person's family have complained she signed up to £6 per month (thats a lot for an OAP) to get the men off her door.

Agreed he suggested I do not put a sign up with Doorstep Collectors will be fed to the dog ("Don't want the poor lasses getting stomach aches do you?) but instead put Charity Contributions made by direct debit in the window.

so, on the whole, a good result.
                            PC Brent is such a killjoy. I would love to see the look on a chugger's face when they saw the notice warning them they would be fed to the dog.

Comment

I dont know if it is still the case but the deal with an agewncy I used to work for ; who solicted for the wildlife trusts, took the first two years donations and then the charity git money . The other deal was that the agency got 30% of all the money it took . The latter is more useful for charities as I understand that over 70% of DD donations dont alst 24 months .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X