• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Doctors little notes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors little notes

I have an aunt aged 80, she has heart problems, has also had a Mastectomy.
    She lives alone but copes very well and is the last person on earth who would become a burden to anyone.

The week before last she called the doctor out as she had severe Bronchitus and was very poorly. The doc came and she got antibiotics as the norm and has since recovered but still has a cough.
    Yesterday she went for her usual prescription and on the form was attached a note which said,

" home visits are for the terminally ill or truly housebound"

Has anyone else had this sort of thing?
    What's your opinion on this ?
    Tags: None

Re: Doctors little notes

There is no doubt that is disgusting. On the other side of the coin I have two close relatives who are GPs. They have been asked to go out because the baby is crying; I think my wife may be pregnant; my wife is tired (at 2am) and if you want a genuine amusing one I've got my pen1s stuck in the vacuum cleaner,

This abuse of the system, where on the whole the above are extremes, but equally where the reality is that many see it as their right to be seen at home rather than go to a surgery has led to the dreadful note put on your aunt's prescription.

A few severely abuse, and a majority suffer as a result.

Comment

One of my friends is a doctors receptionist, she's told us loads of stories where people are calling doctors out for the most ridiculous of reasons, one of which was a woman with a five month old baby, she was complaining that after breast feeding her boobs had drooped and could she have implants, jeez no wonder the doctors are saying no to home visits.
      After my hysterectomy (yep I was housebound) I had to beg for a home visit because my stitches had burst open, I was asked by the receiptionist if I could either walk or drive to the surgery, you can imagine my answer.

Funny story time, my daughter in law is a sister in A & E and a guy went in a while ago with a Wedding ring stuck over the end of his willy.
      Another time a guy had a rose stuck down the hole at the end.
      Another time a woman went in the an apple stuck up her nooney.

OUCH ! OUCH ! OUCH !

Comment

I know some of the staff in the A & E Department at our local teaching hospital who frequently have to deal with mobile phones stuck up people's backsides or up a certain part of the female anatomy. Jokes on a postcard, please to.....
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
          OUCH ! OUCH ! OUCH !
          What the heck is a nooney?

Never heard that one before!

Found it! Googled the word and found this pmsl:

Nooney Fishing near Whitefish, Montana

Comment

Ha ha - I've heard many stories like this from people I know working in A and E and surgery (yes some have to be removed surgically!) bottles seem to be a favourite!! Doesn't bear thinking about............

As for the Drs - well that's out of order IMO. I would think that bronchitis in an 80 year old lady who lives alone would make her 'truly housebound'. It could have been very serious if not treated or if she had tried to struggle out by herself to the Drs. I have been asked by receptionists to bring clients who cannot walk more than a few steps to the surgery because they are listed as 'mobile' on their notes.

I have however done a medical receptionists course at college, though I have never got a job as one lol. We covered this as part of our training and were told that we as receptionists don't have the right or knowledge to refuse a patient a home visit. Obviously this is ignored completely by some receptionists as I have experienced. We were told that unless there is a note from the Dr or nurse stating no home visits will be done to that patient then we should put them down for one, it is then up to the professional to make that decision. Doesn't always happen in practice though.

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
              ...a guy went in a while ago with a Wedding ring stuck over the end of his willy.
              Another time a guy had a rose stuck down the hole at the end.

OUCH ! OUCH ! OUCH !
              Aaaaaw - true love is expressed in manifold ways !!! :tinysmile_kiss_t4: :billk:
              ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
              As to Enaid's post, that is utterly tactless, IMHO. The point could have been put across just as firmly - but much more gently, I believe.

Guess what's next....

"Home visits will NOT be made to the terminally ill, as there is no point."

The question is not "IF" - it's "WHEN" - I reckon.

Finally...

"If you cannot make your own way to the surgery, please call this number:

[....Co-op Funeral Care]"
              Last edited by Bill-K; 16th March 2012, 22:29:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X