• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The dangers of ChatGPT/AI - another hallucination case.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dangers of ChatGPT/AI - another hallucination case.

This post is a reminder to anyone using artificial intelligence "large language models" to conduct legal research that these systems are prone to 'hallucination'. They make things up.

There was a well-publicised case in the States a few months ago in which a lawyer had used an AI model to help prepare submissions to the court. The model cited case law - but the cases did not exist. They were fabrications. Now this has happened in an English tribunal. Read paragraphs 1 to 24 of Harber v Commissioners of HMRC, it won't take long.

If you must use an AI model, check everything that it produces for you.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf
    Tags: None

Very interesting, thank you.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Another relevant article in which a Court of Appeal judge admits to using AI assistance.

https://www.lexology.com/library/det...7-98d0c6c429e5
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Alternative link if you don’t have an account with lexology.

https://www.ashfords.co.uk/insights/...n-his-judgment
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I have used ChatGPT to help prepare notes for students. It can remove a lot of drudgery in preparing a first draft. But it needs to be checked, and I have found mistakes in its output. But it saved time in preparing those notes, even if you include my time spent checking and amplifying. I am sure lawyers will be using AI regularly.

The most important thing is that, as Birss LJ said, you have to take personal responsibility for your work.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

test - 2 earlier replies to post #4 appear to have been sent to the spam holding cell.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              test - 2 earlier replies to post #4 appear to have been sent to the spam holding cell.
              I've approved your post. Blame AI.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X