• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What's a reasonable amount of chasing to do on a non-responsive solicitor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a reasonable amount of chasing to do on a non-responsive solicitor?

Had a chat with a local legal aid solicitor on 3rd March; he said "send over the info and I'll take a look", and I also sent in legal aid details.
    There have not been any updates or replies other than "we'll get back to you" from the following attempts.
    With a hearing in 3 weeks, it looks like I will be left unrepresented in court again for a second time, as a previous solicitor just didn't respond either.

Is it worth writing to the court asking for a postponement as it would be unfair to be unrepresented?
    This will be the 4th solicitor I've tried getting hold of.

Is this normal? These are the times I emailed the one who said he could actually do it.

Emailed:
    3rd March 2021 - initial info
    5th March 2021 - more info as requested.
    10th March 2021- chase: no response
    11th March 2021- chase: no response
    15th March 2021- chase: no response
    16th March 2021- chase: no response
    17th March 2021- chase: "we're looking into it"
    18th March 2021- chase: no response
    19th March 2021- chase: "been busy, will get back to you tomorrow"
    22nd March 2021- chase: no response
    23rd March 2021- chase: no response
    24th March 2021- chase: no response

Telephoned:
    5th March 2021 - quick chat to make sure email had arrived.
    10th March 2021 - chase: "been busy, will get back to you tomorrow"
    16th March 2021- chase: "been busy, will get back to you tomorrow"
    17th March 2021- chase: "been busy, will get back to you tomorrow"
    19th March 2021- chase: "been busy, will get back to you tomorrow"
    25th March 2021- chase: "been busy, will get back to you tomorrow"
    Tags: None

email an ultimatum. Assume you have not applied for legal aid with this person's firm. There are many legal aid solicitors - vote with your feet. As for postponement - I would think unlikely. Is tis crown or mags? Is it a trial following a not guilty plea?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
      email an ultimatum. Assume you have not applied for legal aid with this person's firm. There are many legal aid solicitors - vote with your feet. As for postponement - I would think unlikely. Is tis crown or mags? Is it a trial following a not guilty plea?
      Family, and also magistrates for appeal in magistrates court. Yes, applied for legal aid.
      I live in the middle of no-where, I've spent months trying to find a legal aid solicitor who can either do it, or doesn't want to charge £1,200 just to fill in the legal aid form (non-recoverable if I don't win).

The solicitor above has JUST replied after I copied them into all the contact attempts, saying "considering the extensive amount of work each one of the matters requires it can be difficult in proving you with an update so quickly".

Well, I've not even met them yet! They don't have the details, and is nearly 3 weeks just to book a meeting "so quickly"?!?
      But a meeting is at least booked for Monday... why does it ALWAYS take a threat to get anything done these days?

Comment

Good news that you have a meeting now - I agree it is very frustrating but well done and good luck

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X