• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Split shifts and daily breaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split shifts and daily breaks

Hi

Does anyone know whether or not I am eligible for an 11 hour break between shifts if my shifts are:

06:30-10:30 -break- 16:00-19:30

Any advice would be appreciated as I can't find a clear answer on any websites

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Split shifts and daily breaks

Hi and welcome

Your 11 hour break is in any 24 hour period,
    So your 11 hour break between 19.30 and 06.30is OK
    If you work 6 hours per day you are entitled to a 20 minute break.You are getting 5.5 hours.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1373

Comment

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly

They are my hours but my boss is trying to make me stay later so I would be having less than 11 hours between finishing at night and starting again in the morning

Comment

OK.
        The 11 hours consecutive rest can be varied, as long ascompensatory rest is given.
        So a break of say 6 hours between shifts can becompensated with a subsequent break of 16 hours between shifts.

There are categories of workers that are exempt.

Comment

So if say I worked until 21:30... And started at 06:30 again in the morning

I could have a 13 hour rest to compensate the following day?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSearcher View Post
            So if say I worked until 21:30... And started at 06:30 again in the morning

I could have a 13 hour rest to compensate the following day?
            Let's use an analogy with drivers. Professional drivers are restricted to a minimum rest (daily rest) of X hours between duties. However, they can legally reduce their daily rest by X hours providing they make it up by the end of week 3. So the compensation could likely be made up before the end of the 3rd week. So before the third week it would be 11 hours + whatever needs to be compensated.

Comment

Does the weekend count?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSearcher View Post
                Does the weekend count?
                If the working week includes the weekend normally, then it's part of the working week. So the compensation could be made on Monday and Tuesday, assuming you have those two days off together. it could also be spread across days too.

Comment

Thank you for your replies I understand a little more now

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X