• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consumer rights and cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer rights and cars

Hi all ,
    Quick question regarding the 30 day refund start time.
    I've read that if buying in person the 30 days starts then. If bought online it starts on receipt of goods.
    I recently bought a car and still well within 30 days.
    However , I paid a deposit on day x over the phone , paid in full 7 days later ( bacs )and received car 8 days after day x.
    So my question is does the 30 days begin on deposit day , bacs day or delivery day?

Thanks for looking.

Donut
    Tags: None

s22(3)(b) Consumer Rights Act 2015 - the time for the short time right to reject runs from the date of delivery of the goods.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

... and as it was a distance sale there is a cooling off period of 14 days from delivery, or twelve months if you were not not provided with the information on the right to cancel (Consumer Contracts(Information, Cancellation and Additional charges) Regulations 2013)

Comment

Thankyou very much folks
        Hoping now the fault is accepted and i get my money back

Donut

Comment

Just to add that they actually put day X on the invoice as delivery date . I take it that wouldn't be binding as it most definitely wasn't .

Donut

Comment

Hi , they couldn't find a fault and say nout is wrong.
            But I've just realised about the 14 day cooling off period. ( Thanks Des8 ) My head just spinning at the mo.
            So as I understand it i can just cancel the purchase?
            How do i inform them , over phone or in writing?
            If in writing is email acceptable?
            Anything else about the process I should know?
            I don't need to give a reason?
            This is 2nd hand car does that make a difference?

Thanks for reading .

Donut

Comment

You need to write to them, email is acceptable but I would also send a hard copy via 1st class royal mail with free certificate of posting from post office.

You will need to tell them this is in accordance with your rights under the regulations to cancel within the cooling off period
              (which in this case, as I assume they did not comply the regulations, the cooling off period is 12 months )

Suggest you read the regulations and quote the relevant sections at them!

Comment

Thanks Des8 ,
                I have just sent email using citizens advice beaurau template.
                They sent an auto response so I've saved that , will that do?
                Think they're going to call tomorrow so hopefully may get somewhere with it then.

Cheers

Donut

Comment

I'm still worried that they marked it as delivered on day x when i made the deposit.
                  Is it definitely 14 days from ACTUALLY receiving the car or does the date on the invoice override this?

Cheers

Donut

Comment

It says " I acknowledge receiving delivery of the car on day x"
                    Signed by phone.

Cheers

Donut

Comment

The 14 days runs from the date the goods are received by the buyer.
                      Do you have proof of the actual delivery date?.

Can't comment on CAB's template as I don't know it!

Comment

Well my proof is I stayed home to receive it , i also photographed it on the day. I was also in contact with the firm that delivered it and have screenshots of the call log. Also have WhatsApp message from day before saying they would confirm delivery date when they had confirmation . Conversation saved and screenshots of it as well.

Any good?

Cheers

Donut

Comment

Comment

Thankyou for your help Des8 , it's settled me down a bit , still not looking forward to the phone conversation tho
                            I just realized as well that they couldn't have told me about 14 day period as when I called today , the person who i spoke to about it , whom also took the deposit , said she'd never heard of it.

And apologies for doing this in the wrong forum section.

Thanks again

Donut

Comment

Good luck tomorrow.
                              If possible record the call and confirm it in writing afterwards.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X