• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help - Car insurance issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Car insurance issues

Hey guys,

I am having serious issues with my car insurance, I made a huge error in June and renewed my insurance via a comparison site it had saved my details and I stupidly didn't check the details.

I was driving home from work on the 13th August, and wasn't very well, I was sick whilst driving and hit the back of someone. I called my insurance and found out I hadn't selected commuting on my policy, a complete over site I have never not had this on my policy.

I received an email advising my policy was benign cancelled and they wouldn't cover the damages on my car, this was fully expected. I bought a new car, sold my previous one and started they new policy for when my previous one had ended

This is where the story takes a funny turn, I received an email saying I owed £102 in cancellation fees, I called yesterday to make the payment, this was done yesterday am, on this call I confirmed nothing else was owed and everything was up to date, which was confirmed. Yesterday afternoon I had another email saying I owed another £333.00 and then today I have another email saying I owe £3.2k from the underwriter.

I have been hung up on, lied to via email and basically made to feel like a criminal, it was a simple error and this is taking its toll.

I have raised a complaint and they've offered £100 off the £333, which I've declined and they've advised 8 weeks for the complaint to be finalised, I can't go to the FCA before this and they £3.2k has 14 days on it. I've emailed and tried to call, explaining the 14 days isn't realistic and they need to allow 8 weeks for a resolution but I haven't heard back/managed to get through to anyone.

What are my legal standings?
    Is there anything I can do and has anyone been through anything similar?

Thanks
    K
    Tags: None

Some questions first:
    Was the policy "cancelled" or "voided" by your insurers? There is a difference.

Can you advise if the firm you chose from the comparison site was the actual insurer or just an intermediary/

I'm guessing it was an intermediary who requested the cancellation fee.

Do you know whether it is the intermediary or the insurers requesting £333.00 and have they stated what it is for?

The £3,200.00 is probably the insurers looking for reimbursement of a claim from the third party which they have settled

Comment

ERTC is the email I received, they exercised their right to cancel my policy. The comparison site and my insurer was Go Skippy, the underwriter is Somerset bridge (they sent me the £3k).

The £102 and the £333 is from Go Skippy.

thanks

Comment

ERTC ????

Goskippy are brokers and a trading name of Somerset Bridge

\keeping everything in writing I would decline the request for £333 as you did not cancel the policy (altho' their Terms and conditions might say otherwise)

If the £3K is for a third party claim paid by your insurers you will probably have to pay it.
        IMO it would be better to come to an arrangement with them, rather than risk a court case, but of course it is your choice

Comment

Thank you so much for the advise Des!

I have asked for the £3k to be put on hold for 8 weeks whilst they investigate my complaint, I will re assess at this point and I had a feeling I would have to pay the £3k.

You're a star, thanks again.
          Kat

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X