• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Motorhome Hire -Damage excess deposit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorhome Hire -Damage excess deposit

Hello All, I have been so successful in using this site before but I have found myself in a bad situation.

I recently hired a Motorhome from a company for 5 days, I checked off the damage report but there was a few ingrains on the body work but not scratches as in paint work came off so was told that’s normal wear and tear not damage (very tiny)

Anyway day one we had a flood constant water coming through the vents, called the company and the came up to our site to fix. Ruined all our clothes but I just washed at dried them at site and held us back a few hours but I didn’t complain as he came a good 60 miles to fix it. Next day whilst putting kids seat belts on the head rest came off, very flimsy as it’s basically a could of screws into plywood and it was clear it had been off before as there was loads of markings. I didn’t bother we covered il the screws to make it safe for the kids. I didn’t want to complain again. Then on part of our journey a small section of the bumper corner came off, this is a single panel on its own. No scratches etc nothing. I called the owner to advise and said if it’s my fault I’d pay but I can’t see how as there is no damage on the other parts. He advised not to worry if I can bring it down earlier he will have the part. On inspection there was silicone everywhere, even parts that looked like cracks had silicone coming out. To me it’s a botched job previously. I didn’t worry as I was only concerned by the area I lost. When I went back with it the guy turned very rude, saying I ripped the head rest off or that my children climbed on it. This is extremely insulting to me as one of my kids is 1 years old and the other is 5 who was brought up to respect other people’s possessions. It’s white seats I’m sure if my kids jumped all over there would be signs of that considering how dirty these vans get.

anyway he’s now come to the conclusion that I’ve damaged the side bumper, back bumper and the little part that’s missing (the part I expected) I’ve sent the pictures to a few people who have said the silicone shows these have been damaged before and the crack could have been caused by the silicone etc not me. He advised they come out the factory like this ?? He is withholding my £1000 deposit and he’s away to cost the new bumpers etc. Paid this on my CC

do I have any right to at least an investigation to see if this was my fault or not, right now he has my money and I need to go with what he said??

Tags: None

Hi MUMMYTOO2

I don't suppose you took any personal pictures which might show the Motorhome in the condition that you received it. It might be worth checking their website for pictures. I'm sure rental companies take regular pictures of their Motorhomes.

What you could do as you paid the deposit by C/C is raise a dispute with the C/C company. Make a Section 75 claim, then they can investigate the matter, gather all the evidence (pictures etc), write a summary, make your case. Only communicate in writing with the hire company and credit card issuer.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...g-amrSG5y3xh7b

Comment

Thanks ECHAT11 I only have some picture of trip, but from my pictures other than the small section missing you wouldn’t believe there was any damage. All the damage he is saying is under the part missing but it has visible signs of repair, for example silicone coming though cracks that look like they have been there but he’s tell me it’s my fault. I will raise it with the CC company as a starter thanks so much For your advise

Comment

Originally posted by Mummytoo2 View Post
        Thanks ECHAT11 I only have some picture of trip, but from my pictures other than the small section missing you wouldn’t believe there was any damage. All the damage he is saying is under the part missing but it has visible signs of repair, for example silicone coming though cracks that look like they have been there but he’s tell me it’s my fault. I will raise it with the CC company as a starter thanks so much For your advise
        Don't worry about what you haven't got, you have some pictures, maybe a local car mechanics might provide some expertise regards pictures.

Comment

Thanks, yeah I took loads of detailed pictures of all around the area. Thanks I will make sure I call the CC company in the morning

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X