• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Save UK Justice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Save UK Justice

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKpiagICEAE7eyf.jpg:large
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
      Exactly!!

WE need to get people lobbying their MPs as these reforms that Failing Grayling is planning wont even get the scrutiny of parliament, it will be slipped through without a whimper unless we all stand up and be counted. If these reforms go ahead, then lets hope no one needs legal aid for a criminal matter.
      If they go ahead pt don't you agree that more & more people will end up in prison which are full up now any way as they will without doubt be found guilty even if they are innocent.
      I know I moan about pratically everything................but I think I can moan about this.
      Is that what is meant to happen we will have a nation of people with ciminal records.

I'm glad my life is over the hill and don't have to be around to be witness to a good country filled with mostly good people ending up like this govt is directing it to ........the Rubbish Dumps.

Sparkie

Comment

I'm not liking item No 4 on that list which states "your legal representative will be rewarded financially for agreeing with a case against you". Does this mean there will be incentives for lawyers to get their clients to plead Guilty to avoid trial costs?

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
          I'm not liking item No 4 on that list which states "your legal representative will be rewarded financially for agreeing with a case against you". Does this mean there will be incentives for lawyers to get their clients to plead Guilty to avoid trial costs?
          of course, they will push more work through and make more money, so they wont give a toss if your not guilty, they will want a guilty plea
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Complete and utter madness. Why has this not been plastered over the front pages of the press? Maybe it has during my enforced break!

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
              Complete and utter madness. Why has this not been plastered over the front pages of the press? Maybe it has during my enforced break!
              It wasn't.

The press has entirely been convinced by the persistent repetition of the familiar lies about what the Legal Aid system costs and how Roland Freisler ^W^W Chris Grayling will save money.

Comment

As the petition has reached over 60,000 signatures, the Ministry of Truth has made an official response:

As this e-petition has received more than 10 000 signatures, the relevant Government department have provided the following response: We have one of the most expensive legal aid systems in the world and spend more than £1billion of taxpayer’s money on criminal legal aid each year. We must ensure we get the very best value for every penny spent. We are tackling areas which are eroding public confidence – such as wealthy defendants who can afford to pay their own costs routinely receiving legal aid; prisoners being given legal aid for issues better dealt with by via the prisoner complaints system; a small amount of high cost cases swallowing up many millions in pubic money; and those who do not have a strong connection to this country qualifying for legal aid. Under the proposals for reform of the criminal legal aid scheme that we are consulting on until 4 June, quality assured duty solicitors and lawyers would still be available – just as they are now. All providers would be required to satisfy specified quality standards when they submit their tenders and subsequently through contractual requirements. They would therefore all be capable and competent of delivering criminal legal aid services to any client. The consultation proposals aim to deliver a more credible and efficient system which will save £220million from the legal aid bill by 2018/19. The consultation is open until 4 June and the department welcomes submissions on its proposals via the following link: https://consult.justice.gov.uk/digit...ming-legal-aid

Comment

It is - of course - rather disingenuous. Let us look at the twaddle a bit more closely:

We have one of the most expensive legal aid systems in the world and spend more than £1 billion of taxpayer’s money on criminal legal aid each year. We must ensure we get the very best value for every penny spent.
                  To tell lies convincingly, it is always helpful to start by telling the truth so that one's fibs may slip through unnoticed.

We are tackling areas which are eroding public confidence
                  No. They are "tackling areas" that have been the subject of misleading and erroneous reports in the Tory press for several years. If public confidence has been eroded, that was because of misreporting rather than the operation of the Criminal Legal Aid system.

such as wealthy defendants who can afford to pay their own costs routinely receiving legal aid;
                  That is - of course - utter nonsense.

prisoners being given legal aid for issues better dealt with by via the prisoner complaints system;
                  Even prisoners have a right to justice!

What is meant there, however, may be one or two prisoners using a Judicial Review rather than an internal complaint. Judicial Reviews are not funded by the Criminal Legal Aid system.

a small amount of high cost cases swallowing up many millions in pubic money;
                  If that is what they cost, then that is what they cost. Justice should never be sold like bags of coffee.

and those who do not have a strong connection to this country qualifying for legal aid.
                  By their resort to foolish xenophobia, one may be reminded of the celebrated aphorism wherein Dr Johnson declared that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

However, as it is an inviolable right for anyone accused of a crime to receive a fair trial and to understand the trial, any accused person has the right to legal representation (and, where necessary, an interpreter) whether or not they "have a strong connection to this country". Or does Herr Grayling suppose that only UK citizens should receive justice in UK criminal trials?

The rest of the official response was just flim-flam.

Comment

Here's some more useful quotes: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...lawyers+strike

Oops - is that the sound of clanging hypocrisy now that people think it might be to their own detriment instead of someone elses?

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
                      Here's some more useful quotes: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...lawyers+strike

Oops - is that the sound of clanging hypocrisy now that people think it might be to their own detriment instead of someone elses?
                      No, Eloise, it was nothing of the sort.

If you were more interested in advancing the discussion than desperately trying to score points, you would also have commented that I did not disagree with either of your posts concerning the Legal Aid system and that I thanked you for having made those remarks.

Finally, I would be most grateful if you could indicate with what crime you believe I will be charged, if the proposed changes might be to my own detriment.

Comment

I made no comment as to which posts I was referring to, just that there were some other useful quotes and obviously not everyone was as keen to prevent these changes as indicated here when they thought that the issue was about pay and not justice. If you feel that my comments relate to things you may have said, then it wasn't me so indicating...

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
                          I made no comment as to which posts I was referring to, just that there were some other useful quotes and obviously not everyone was as keen to prevent these changes as indicated here when they thought that the issue was about pay and not justice. If you feel that my comments relate to things you may have said, then it wasn't me so indicating...
                          If you say so.

Perhaps, then, you might care to indicate which of the contributors to the other thread (link) could suffer detriment from the proposed changes to the Criminal Legal Aid system and why they would need the services of a good, criminal barrister?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                            The consultation is open until 4 June and the department welcomes submissions on its proposals via the following link: https://consult.justice.gov.uk/digit...ming-legal-aid
                            I'm not a psychic, but I'm going to hazard a guess that the two definitions from the Oxford English Dictionary may be able to be used together in a meaningful sentence after June 4th:

1. Definition of consultation

noun

[mass noun] the action or process of formally consulting or discussing

2. Definition of ignore

verb

[with object] refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally:

Comment

Pt: - have to-day e-mail M.P. for his comments on this subject, also took liberty (hope you do not mind) to quote comment you stated initially, regarding the issue. Item 1.

Comment

Excellent idea Mike. I too have just emailed my Labour MP to ask if there is anything he can do directly or indirectly to halt this.

Thanks for sharing the idea.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X