• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Waiver in Treasury questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiver in Treasury questions

I saw this OTR.

The poster lives in my city where the MP is top tottie Jessica Morden.
    In an email yesterday, Jessica apparently sent this.

Hello friends, I had this email today from Jessica Morden, can anyone throw any light on this about the treasury questions tomorrow? val

Apologies - my assistant has gone home so I can't find your number. Any
    chance you could send it to me again? Just to say its Treasury questions
    tomorrow and no 2 is on the waiver.

I've got a question further down the pile about local job losses that
    they may get to so won't be able to get called on this but I will send
    you the Hansard extract. I'm sure you've seen the attached website but
    just in case you haven't....

http://www.bankbuster.co.uk/

Theres some useful info on the test case.

I've got another letter to go to the Minister so will keep you informed.

Just wanted to let everyone know that questions on the waiver could be raised tomorrow, but I doubt it rates high enough on the politicians' agenda. It only affects millions of people's lives.

Re: Waiver in Treasury questions

Treasury committee are meeting today.

Comment

and you can watch from 10:30 to 11:30am on bbc Parliament if you have it.

Comment

Jessica Morden has written to Treasury Secretary Kitty Usher with some additional questions.

12 December 2007
        Rt hon Kitty Usher MP
        Economic Secretary to the Treasury
        HM Treasury
        1 Horse Guards Road
        London SW1A 2HQ

Dear Kitty

Our Ref:aw/GILL02001/02070629

Further to our exchange on the floor of the House on 29 November,I am writing to draw your attention to representations I have received from a number of constituents frustrated by the waiver in place as the HighCourt test case proceedson bankcharges.

However well intentioned, the bank charges test case is seen by many of my constituents as a way for banks to hide behind the waiver saving millions this year on claims they would be paying out - whilst continuing to charge. Given this, I should be grateful if you would let me know:-

. how long it is estimated the case will take? I know this is difficult to establish but some reports are saying it couldtake years and it would be useful to have clarificationon this;

. if the waiver will be revoked if progress on the test case is not being made or is substantially delayed?

. what more can be done to help those who may be in particular financial difficulty duringt he period of the waiver?;and .

. if it is clear that the test case will solve this issue once and for all as some firms are saying it is not going to make much difference to individual claims.

The test case seeks to determine whether the Regulations apply to bank charges or not. The OFT believes that the Regulations apply, and the banks believe they are exempt from the Regulations.Therefore, in itself, the question of whether or not the Regulations apply does nothing to resolve matters one way or another, whatever the outcome of the test case.

Thank you for considering this. It would be useful to have your views that I can pass on to my constituents.

Yours sincerely

JESSICA MORDEN MP

Comment

9 January 2008

Dear EXC

Thank you for your letter to members of the Treasury Committee regarding the FSA complaints handling waiver. I have been asked to reply and I apologise for the delay.

The Treasury committee regularly conducts sessions with the FSA, the next is on Tuesday 22 January on their Annual Report. The committee has no immediate plans to examine the regulation of financial services in general, but I will draw the suggestion to the committee's attention when it next comes to consider possible subjects for future inquiry.

Yours sincerely

Michelle Edney
          Committee Assistant
          Treasury Committee

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X