• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt ‘breathing space’ called for to help families in crisis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt ‘breathing space’ called for to help families in crisis

A “breathing space” scheme should be introduced so that people in debt crisis can still afford to heat their homes and feed their families, according to consumer champion Martin Lewis and charity StepChange. Those making the joint call said it would help to fix the “patchwork” of rules and voluntary schemes for people struggling with…
    Read More -> Debt ‘breathing space’ called for to help families in crisis

More...
    Tags: None

Re: Debt ‘breathing space’ called for to help families in crisis

The term Scheme does not imply this will be a legal requirement; more a ‘good will gesture’. Same as before then when the big lenders tried to show a caring side by freezing interest and accepting reduced payments for those suffering genuine hardship.
    OK, I know I am a bit argumentative but exactly how will this scheme work or be better enforced than for example the CCA and other laws and legislation that are frequently ignored by OLs and DCA’s? What about Arrow, oops sorry, Erudio, ignoring the original terms of the student loan contracts? What about DCA’s who hound people, in some cases to attempting suicide, contrary to current legislation? Any chance they could stop the courts accepting blanket claims that are no more than a list of names, addresses and alleged sums owed? Any danger they could enforce the current restrictions on bailiffs and aggressive doorstep debt collectors?
    Very commendable constantly coming up with new ‘ideas’ that will be flouted but can’t we put some effort into enforcing some of the laws that apparently already exist!
    I know I may get torn apart for this comment but…well…I have more respect for the people who actually work with real people, day in and day out, helping and advising (like the LB people) then ….erm…. media whores who simply talk the talk.
    There it is….I’ll get my coat.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
    ~ Anonymous

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X