• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LegalBeagle Wins Bank Charge Case - Lloyds Overdraft Terms deemed Unfair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LegalBeagle Wins Bank Charge Case - Lloyds Overdraft Terms deemed Unfair

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
    no he couldnt, the Judge has no input on the transcript of proceedings, only the judgment itself does he get to approve. If you use Posib the transcribers i use, they will put everything in
    Thx

It'll be interesting how they report it because it happened so quickly and you weren't clear precisely what was said that seems to get his back up.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
      no he couldnt, the Judge has no input on the transcript of proceedings, only the judgment itself does he get to approve. If you use Posib the transcribers i use, they will put everything in
      I think this would be an excellent idea! How do we get this from the Court?

Comment

Originally posted by orfoster View Post
        I think this would be an excellent idea! How do we get this from the Court?
        you need a Court form EX107, it costs money sadly but id expect no more than £150 to obtain although proper enquiries would be needed.
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kafka View Post
          Thx

It'll be interesting how they report it because it happened so quickly and you weren't clear precisely what was said that seems to get his back up.
          digital recording so its gonna show everything
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Wouldn't Howlett's be prepared to obtain the transcripts?
            Last edited by Amethyst; 1st November 2014, 19:44:PM. Reason: sorry just spelling fix xxxx
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
              Wouldn't Howlett's be prepared to obtain the transcripts?
              Unlikely, the work on this case has already been done pro bono, so i doubt the firm would spend money as well on the transcripts.

Comment

roughly how much is it likely to cost?
                "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                  roughly how much is it likely to cost?
                  difficult to say, depends on the length of the hearing. I would expect a day to cost somewhere around £150-200 roughly

Comment

About touch over 3 hours I'd say.

Comment

I'll contribute to that if you're looking for donations - greater good and all that

Comment

I had a few cases on hold. Has anyone else tried claiming since this victory? Are there any other relevant threads worth looking at? I would like to give it a go, as I am very short of cash.

Comment

Is there any update on this case? I'm keen to hear if Lloyd's did actually appeal, and what the outcome of that appeal was. It' be great to think that the argument used in this case would have an application for other charges claimants

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsnspanners View Post
                            Is there any update on this case? I'm keen to hear if Lloyd's did actually appeal, and what the outcome of that appeal was. It' be great to think that the argument used in this case would have an application for other charges claimants
                            Lloyds didn't appeal but the claimant sought leave to appeal the part of the judgment that confined the effect of the unfair term to just the claimant but it was dismissed at the application hearing on jurisdictional grounds ie a County Court cannot make rulings that bind other courts.

There is another long running case (unrelated) against another bank that's knocking on the door of the Court of Appeal which is attempting to introduce the same arguments on the strength of the Foster-Burnell judgment although it's a bit of a long shot whether it'll be heard.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                              Lloyds didn't appeal but the claimant sought leave to appeal the part of the judgment that confined the effect of the unfair term to just the claimant but it was dismissed at the application hearing on jurisdictional grounds ie a County Court cannot make rulings that bind other courts.

There is another long running case (unrelated) against another bank that's knocking on the door of the Court of Appeal which is attempting to introduce the same arguments on the strength of the Foster-Burnell judgment although it's a bit of a long shot whether it'll be heard.
                              Thanks EXC.
                              So, that's confusing really.

Even as the case cannot now be used to set binding precedent, surely the overall precedent was the part of the Hasotag case used in making the judgement that said the charges were assessable for fairness as they could be updated and changed at any time? I thought that this was the part of the argument that effectively superceded the UKSC judgement enabling the Foster-Burnell case to be successful?

Also, what is the other case please. and is there any update for that?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm watching this very closely as I'd like to find out if I can use these arguments against Nationwide, who took nearly £2000 pounds from me, and which was (at the risk of sounding over dramatic) financially crippling. So I'm sure you understand my interest!

Thanks again

Comment

It's not quite as simple as that as the judge found that there were a particular combination of factors in the Foster-Burnell case for which the principles established in Hatosag applied so it doesn't have universal application in any event . I can't give you any more details on the other case I'm afraid.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X