• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclays customer wins freeze on charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays customer wins freeze on charges

A judge has stopped Barclays bank taking any more penalty charges and interest from a customer who sued for their return.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6960358.stm

Re: Barclays customer wins freeze on charges

I like that one!!

Seems not everything is going the banks way after all, it's the little things in life that make you smile

Comment

This is the first time I've heard of an injunction on charges being enforced, although they form a part of the stay lift application in case its not granted.

Excellent news

Comment

The subtle point of major interest is that if you look at the copy of the judge's order in the newsreport, he refers to penalty charges not service fees.

It will be very interesting to see what happens now at other courts where judges don't feel they can lift a stay but feel sympathy for the Claimant...

Comment

Excellent news , but.....................

This is one of the things that has concerned me for some time .

YES the bank has had to `freeze` any charges but what happens when the test case is concluded :_
          • Will the charges be waivered completely?
          • Will the charges be reapplied at any figure that the test case decides on?
          or and this is the one that worries me
          • Will the bank seek to collect the accumulated charges from the period of the `freeze` in one foul swoop?
          If the latter is to be the case then I have no doubt that if the test case drags on , possibly with an appeal by the banks , then these charges may have escalated to an amount out of reach for the claimant to pay back all in one go.
          As we all know if this is the case then Barclays will no doubt offer some ridiculously high interest loan to the claimant or force them into more debt somewhere else.

The fairest option for both claimant and defendant is , as long as the result of the test case decides that each individual bank puts forward a genuine pre-estimateof their losses and the charges are then reapplied at that rate or the differences reimbursed then the `freezing` of charges is a good thing .
          I would advise the claimant , however , to ensure they have enough funds to cover if the bank suddenly wants them all back in one go.

JMHO
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X