• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Which new faces will feature on new £50 banknote?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which new faces will feature on new £50 banknote?

Steam pioneer James Watt and his business partner Matthew Boulton are to feature on a new £50 banknote.

More...

Re: Which new faces will feature on new £50 banknote?

Steam giants on new £50 banknote

The note featuring Boulton and Watt will be introduced in 18 months

Two giants of the industrial age are to appear on a redesigned Bank of England £50 note.
    Scottish engineer James Watt and his business partner Matthew Boulton, from Birmingham, developed the steam engine.
    Bank of England governor Mervyn King said their 18th Century innovations were essential in driving Britain's Industrial Revolution.
    It is the first time two portraits have appeared together on the note. An image of the Queen appears on the other side.
    Inventor and mechanical engineer James Watt was born in Greenock in 1736 and carried out some of his first experiments with steam power in Glasgow.
    His partnership with Matthew Boulton, who owned the Soho Foundry in Birmingham, gave him access to the latest metal working techniques.
    Many of the advantages society now enjoys are due in large part to the vital role of engineering and the brilliance and foresight of people such as Boulton and Watt,

Mervyn King
    Bank of England governor

The resulting Boulton and Watt engine proved far more efficient than previous designs, and was soon being used in coal mines and cotton factories.
    The new banknote, to be launched in 18 months, includes an image of a steam engine and the Soho factory.
    Mervyn King said: "So many of the advantages society now enjoys are due in large part to the vital role of engineering and the brilliance and foresight of people such as Boulton and Watt, whose development and refinement of steam engines gave an incredible boost to the efficiency of industry."
    He added: "The unique and rare opportunity that the bank has through its banknotes to acknowledge and promote awareness of our nation's heritage of artistic, social and scientific endeavour is an honour for us.
    "The bank's choice of Boulton and Watt, a reminder of the invaluable contribution from engineering and the entrepreneurial spirit to the advancement of society, I think, well reflects this."
    The new note will circulate initially in tandem with the existing £50 note featuring the first Bank of England governor Sir John Houblon, but the older note will gradually be withdrawn.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

All you have to do is find someone who will accept them willingly lol

Comment

Thanks for posting the picture Tools, cos it maybe the only chance I get to see those blokes faces.
        Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Me too unfortunately Happy
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X