• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New Ofcom rule changes for telephone and broadband providers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ofcom rule changes for telephone and broadband providers

Though I would highlight this because new Ofcom rules will be implemented from 1 October for the benefit of consumers. It largely relates to nuisance calls but the fact that caller display will now be free is something of interest for those who don't currently have it. The summary below is taken from ISP Review website: click here for link to full article

Help to better protect people against nuisance calls

* Phone companies will be banned from charging customers for caller display (Caller ID), a service which helps people to screen unwanted calls;

* Telephone numbers displayed to people receiving calls must be valid and allow a person to call the number back;

* Phone companies must take steps to identify and block calls which carry invalid numbers a feature of many nuisance calls so they don't get through to consumers in the first place; and

* Ofcom will be able to take back blocks of numbers from communications providers if they are found to have been systematically used to cause harm or anxiety to people, such as to make nuisance calls or perpetrate scams or fraud.

Require telecoms companies to treat vulnerable customers fairly

* Communications providers must introduce policies for identifying vulnerable customers - such as people with learning or communication difficulties or those suffering physical or mental illness or bereavement - to ensure they are treated fairly. For example, broadband providers must now offer disabled users access to priority fault repair, third party bill management and accessible bills.

Help ensure that complaints and customer requests are handled appropriately

* All communications providers must ensure that customer concerns are dealt with promptly and effectively;

* Customers must be kept informed about the progress of their complaint and be allowed faster access to dispute resolution services in cases where the matter cannot be resolved by their provider; and

* Ofcom is issuing new guidance to providers on handling customers - requests to cancel their contract. This should include allowing customers to cancel by phone, email or webchat, and ensuring incentive schemes for customer service agents do not encourage poor behaviour.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X