• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overpayment Of Pension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpayment Of Pension

Hi , I was wondering if anyone can give me some advise regarding this matter, my mum passed away on Fri 2nd Dec, she was in a care home although was in hospital when she passed, her pension was paid into her bank account which accrued over the month and then was taken by direct debit for her fees, I phoned the dept of work and pensions on the monday after she passed to inform them and was asured that mums account was all up to date and no monies had been over paid. My mum had donated her body to Medical Science but as we discovered after her death , even though you are registered with them this by no means is a definite that they will accept you when you pass away, this was the case with my mum therefore my husband and I had to pay for her funeral as she had no insurance , she had several hubdred pound in her bank book from her pension which the bank issued to us as a cheque paid directly to the funeral directors. Yesterday I recieved a letter from the dept of work and pensions stating that mum was over paid by £146 and can we please refund this money to them, I am at my wits end as you can imagine as our savings were wiped out paying for the funeral and I am having some health issues myself just now and am off sick from work, I know it might not seem like an awful lot of money but we can ill afford it, do I have to pay it back, any advice would be appreicated, thank you .
    Tags: None

Re: Overpayment Of Pension

Hiya I'm so sorry for your loss and can say that hunny it does get better. Right the DWP my mum died 3 years ago and there was an overpayment of a similar amount.

Here's a link to my thread http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=11427

Comment

Hi mumof2boys,

As such, any benefits, allowances and pensions that have been overpaid have to be reimbursed to the DWP. In your case, DWP informed you that your mum's account was up to date and no over payments had occurred and then turned around, later, and claimed that an overpayment of £146 had been made.

When you spoke to them, did you quote your mum's National Insurance Number correctly?

The other thing that occurs to me is that if you did not quote your mum's National Insurance Number when you spoke to DWP, did you quote her name only?

The reason I have asked these two questions is to rule in or rule out an error on the part of the DWP. Looking in the records of a person with a similar name in error is not unknown and DWP employees are human beings and can make mistakes.

Go back to the DWP, ideally, in person, taking your mum's National Insurance Card, unless this has already been handed back to DWP, or a letter with it on to your local DWP office and get them to double check their records.

If they have made a mistake, they can sort it out. If you do have to reimburse any money, explain your circumstances to them and see if you can work out a way of repaying it without putting yourself in a pickle financially.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hi Mumof2,

The DWP will (if the debt is owed) take your circumstances into consideration and if needs be they can either write off the debt or allow it to be paid over a period of time that suits both parties. Write to them and make a gesture of what you can afford, be that £2 per month if you can afford that or an amount you can afford and see what their reply is. I am sure they will listen and try to come to a settlement which suits both sides.
        Good luck.
        Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X