• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Deed of Variation signing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deed of Variation signing

I have been told by a solicitor that I must sign IN PENCIL.
    Seems odd to me. Any thoughts, please?
    Tags: None

Check the solicitor didn't say sign by the pencil mark.
    The solicitor may be signing on your behalf and wants to be sure you have read the document before erasing your signature and signing it himself or herself.
    Probably best to confirm the answer to your query with the solicitor.

Comment

I agree that you should check with the solicitor. The suggestion in Pezza's second paragraph seems unlikely. I very much hope that no solicitor would say such a thing.

I would always ask for a signature to a deed to be in ink. Some solicitors indicate where you should sign using pencil crosses.

Also, a deed needs to be signed in the presence of a witness who should also sign.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you. Wording in the letter from the solicitor was very misleading.
        "... ask that you sign it where indicated in pencil and ...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X