• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

beneficiaries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beneficiaries

can someone advise me on the issue of inheritance regarding the 28 day rule. Person A died on the 28th day( in the morning ) following the death of Person B who died in the afternoon 28 days before. Is person A entitled to a share of persons B estate. Person B died intestate and the line of inheritance suggests that person A would be a beneficiary. As person A died in the morning and person B died in the afternoon does that make any difference to the 28 day rule.
    Tags: None

what is the relationship between persons A & B?
    The Law Reform (Succession) Act 1995 states:
    "Where the intestate’s husband or wife survived the intestate but died before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the day on which the intestate died, this section shall have effect as respects the intestate as if the husband or wife had not survived the intestate.”

"Husband or wife" substituted by "spouse or civil partner" by Civil partnership Act 2004

Comment

if this concerns spouses or civil partners, can you please give the dates in the month(s) on which the respective deaths occurred.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

what is the relationship between persons A & B?
        The Law Reform (Succession) Act 1995 states:
        "Where the intestate’s husband or wife survived the intestate but died before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the day on which the intestate died, this section shall have effect as respects the intestate as if the husband or wife had not survived the intestate.”

"Husband or wife" substituted by "spouse or civil partner" by Civil partnership Act 2004
        Person A was a niece of person B . The only surviving relatives of person B are nieces and nephews

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          if this concerns spouses or civil partners, can you please give the dates in the month(s) on which the respective deaths occurred.
          Person A was a niece of person B. There are only nieces and nephews who have survived person B .Person B died on the 28 of Febuary at 12 .30 so in the early afternoon of that day. Person A died on the 28 March which was 28 days later but in the early morning of the 28th day.
          Last edited by adlerman; 23rd June 2022, 12:24:PM.

Comment

Now you will see why I asked.

Des 8 referred to the Law Reform (Succession) Act 1995 states:

If the 28 day period begins on 28 February (day 1) then day 28 is 27 March.

Does that help?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

mind you, this person being a neice appears not to have been a spouse or civil partner!

Are you a student seeking help with an assessment?

Comment

Now you will see why I asked.

Des 8 referred to the Law Reform (Succession) Act 1995 states:

If the 28 day period begins on 28 February (day 1) then day 28 is 27 March.

Does that help?
                yes that is very useful thanks

Comment

mind you, this person being a neice appears not to have been a spouse or civil partner!

Are you a student seeking help with an assessment?
                  I am not a student, i'm just trying to find out who can be the beneficiaries to an estate.thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X