• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Deceased fathers care home fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deceased fathers care home fees

Am I liable for my father's care home fees as I was paying them on behalf of my dad with his money but there was a short fall with few missed payments which I have been paying off for the past year but now I have ran into a bad spell and can no longer afford to pay so on hearing this they have threatened legal proceedings against me I just wondered where I stand and if I'm legally bound to pay these fees. Any help here would be greatly appreciated thank you*
    Tags: None

Peridot if he left no estate then I suggest NO. but see what those who know responds with?

Comment

more details of factual nature needed here from the start of issue

Comment

I was paying my father's care home he was there for about a year so I was paying all of his private pension plus nearly all his state pension every month but the care home changed ownership so the money got a bit mucked up or there was a gap in the payments so when my father and mother died they ha e been on to me e er since I agreed to pay them £100 a month which I have been doing and I have paid most of it to them but they say I still owe £1300 and I just haven't got any spare money now I am up to my eye balls where I've had a lot of bad luck come my way and I tried to explain this to the company and he just said well if I've not heard from you in 10 days legal proceedings will be started

Comment

have asked for help, weekend now so maybe delay till Monday, if he had no estate monies left then they are wrong, but like most companies try to cash cow innocents> we shall see?

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Hi there, can anybody help with this situation I've got into as I fear that they will be hounding me soon.

Comment

"but the care home changed ownership so the money got a bit mucked up or there was a gap in the payments "

How were payments being made? direct debit? standing order? cash?
                What does "got a bit mucked up" mean exactly?
                Who "mucked up"?

Were both your parents in the care home, or just your father?
                If just your father, where was your mother?
                Who passed on first?

Did you ever sign anything agreeing to fund your father's fees?

Sorry for the questions, but you have just not given enough information

Comment

No I never signed anything agreeing to pay fathers fees my mother passed first in the morning and my father passed away early evening payments were made by cash to the care home when Dad was alive then I verbally agreed to pay them startline £100 pm as they insisted I owed them the money they changed owner at the home so I had to pay a different company so there was a gap with the payments while they sorted it all out*

Comment

Just trying to understand exactly what has happened:
                    Your Father's care home fees were paid in cash by you out of his money.

The ownership of the care home changed.
                    During the change over period you ceased to pay the fees for some reason.

Did your Father pass on before the new owners took over/whilst they were taking over/after they had taken over?
                    Did you get receipts for payments made?
                    Have you ever received a breakdown showing how the amount due has been calculated/

Comment

I was told that the care home could not take the payment for either the original owner or the new owner I think that was when it started to go into areas, my father passed about 3 months after they took over I think I would have to look through the paper work for exact dates and receipts as it has been just over 2 years since they passed away, the invoices they sent I didn't really fully understand*

Comment

Perhaps I could send one on to here*

Comment

I meant to say send an invoice

Comment

Is the Care Home a limited company?

So the money which should have paid the care home fees was spent elsewhere. Was this* for the benefit of your father?

With hindsight the money should have been put to one side and kept.
                            *However having a cash payment refused is a good defence if accused of not paying a debt. Refusing cash is, strictly, a breach of contract, although the debt remains.

Comment

Any help?

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...es-after-death

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X