• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parent of deceased partner attempting to sue NHS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parent of deceased partner attempting to sue NHS

Hello All,

To set the scene, I had been with my partner for around 2 years, we were engaged but not married, we lived together and she was estranged from her parents. We had a 6 month old child together at the time of her death, which we believe was caused by Sepsis, however the Coroner is opening an Inquest as he believes there may be some medical negligence involved.

My partners mother, who hasn't really been in contact for a good few years is now trying to sue "someone" to get Justice for her daughter, even the thought of this would have made my partner very angry, she worked for the NHS and was happy that they had saved her life on several occasions caused by Chrons disease, and a few operations she had.

I personally know that this has nothing to do with Justice and this is simply about money for her, if she received a successful claim for this, it would anger me as anything due should be for the baby, my son, left in the world without a mother. My question is how does this stand legally, in a claim is the next of kin the only entitled, or does her mother have ground?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Any claim for clinical negligence can only be brought for the benefit of her estate.
    If there is a successful claim it will be the named beneficiaries who benefit, the claim being brought by her executor(s) if there is a will.
    If she passed intestate, and assuming you were not in a civil partnership. her estate passes in its entirety to her child(ren)

Comment

Thank you Des8.

She did not have a will, but on behalf of our son I was the person who closed down her bank accounts etc, I was worried that she would go behind our backs, make a claim and then receive some kind of pay out, as I don't think there is much I can do to stop her, my partner would not have wanted this, especially when the Inquest hasn't yet been completed and there is no clear indication of fault yet.

Thanks for the response, that has put my mind at ease a littleĀ*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X