• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWP issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWP issues

My mum passed away at the age of 90 at the end of March this year. I was prompt enough using the Tell Us Once service but still some overpayments were paid only about £200 which I passed to the executor to pay. I am the main beneficiary of her estate & as such inherited her bungalow which has since being sold & I have purchased a property which is luckily mortgage free for me.

To seriously complicate matters, my mum made a family friend executor of her will. He doesn’t really understand English law or how things work in this country & caused delays in the house buying/selling process. I have had to help him a lot in matters & because I had to stop exhibiting with my business to clear out my mum’s house, he was willing to pay me some interim
    payments from her estate to help me out which I was grateful for.
    if I had known how much it would impact my business then I would have not got involved as he refused to help clear out the bungalow ( 50 yrs of hoarding) despite my asking him to which seeing as he was executor then he should have sorted it out. He is still refusing to pay out for van hire which is a legitimate estate expense as we discovered there were a load of items in my mum’s loft & I had to stop doing an event in order to sort it out as it was 5 days till the sale completed.
    I had to get a solicitor involved & raised my concerns to the selling conveyancers as he also refused to open a proper executors account & he still fails to add up the money in the account appropriately.

However, in September the DWP got involved & from that time on, he is not playing ball at all & has got very difficult to deal with. As far as I can ascertain, they are only looking at the last year of my mum’s life. But they also wanted to know the value of the property in 2003.
    My mum was a widow & disabled & had no additional income or other assets apart from her bungalow. So I have no doubt she was entitled to all of her benefits even when she had to live in a care home for the last year of her life.

As in other threads, it is difficult to ascertain what they are looking for, if indeed anything will need to be paid out & how much. Has anyone got any advice in how to move things along?
    Tags: None

What happened, did you get everything sorted, property is nothing to do with your Mother’s living benefits?

Comment

How were the care home fees paid for the whole year?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X