• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Uncle left no will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle left no will

Hi all looking for some advice
    just been notified that my uncle past away in 2023
    He didn’t leave a will. He owned a property and was financial sound.
    He had two sisters, my mother being one and now deceased and my aunty being the other. I am not sure if my aunty is still alive as we lost contact many years ago.
    As far as I am aware probate has been granted and a company called Moore probate research has written to me regarding the situation.
    As I understand it, my mother’s share of my uncles estate will come to her children, 4 in total.
    So am I correct in thinking mums share would be half of my uncles estate and the four children would then share this equally.?
    who would of applied for probate. Would that have been my aunty or one of her children? or could a solicitor’s firm do the probate with out the knowledge of the existing family?
    How could we find out the value of my uncles estate?
    Obviously we are concerned he didn’t have a proper family funeral service and if he didn’t we would like to try and organise something to remember him by.

many thanks for any thoughts and responses on this matter.

Tags: None

Go to this gov.uk site and see if your uncle is listed. If so you can download a copy of the Letters of Administration (Probate) for a small fee. That will tell you who has been appointed Administrator (Executor) of your Uncle's estate and its value.

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Did your mother die before or after your uncle?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Hi pallasathena
      thank you for the link.
      My mother passed away several years before my uncle

Comment

I don't know Moore Probate Research but from their website they seem to be a legitimate company employed by solicitors to trace missing beneficiaries. If I were you I would contact them and they will put you in touch with the Administrator of your uncle's estate. I imagine they will need to confirm your identity, that you are the nephew of the deceased.

https://mprmissingheirs.co.uk/inform...for-the-public
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Good morning pallasathena

I went on to the probate site and paid for a copy of probate, it now says pending documents.
          Would this infer they are waiting on documents from a court or solicitors IYO.

many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Comment

If your aunt is still alive the whole of your uncle's net estate will go to her
            If your aunt is deceased, you are correct, under the rules of intestacy in England and Wales, you should inherit one eighth share of the net estate.
            From what I have read, "documents pending" at the probate registry only means that public documents are not available
            Any beneficiary under the rules of intestacy can apply to probate for the grant of letters of administration. If you aunt has died you are next in line to apply if you so wish.
            If you haven't done so already, you should reply to Moores

Comment

I'm afraid I don't know what "pending documents" means, I haven't come across it before. However something must have been submitted to the Probate office by someone or he wouldn't be listed on that site at all.

Comment

Hi PALLASATHENA
                I have now got the letter of administration.

It states the gross value of the estate amounts to £***** and the net value amounts to £*******
                Would these figures be before or after inheritance tax
                The estate is worth over half a million

pezza54
                thank you for your response.
                My mother was a sister to my uncle and I’ve been informed my aunt gets half the estate and because my mum has past-away her children get a share of her half of the estate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber99 View Post
                  It states the gross value of the estate amounts to £***** and the net value amounts to £*******
                  Would these figures be before or after inheritance tax
                  If only there were a simple answer to that!

Have a look at this explanation from this firm of solicitors

Do I need to value an estate when someone dies? (tollers.co.uk)

Bear in mind that as far you receiving your inheritance is concerned if a large part of the estate is his house you will not receive anything until the house has been sold and the Administrator is in possession of the cash from the sale.

Comment

The net value of an estate is the gross value less debts and liabilities such as mortgages, credit card debts, funeral expenses
                    Net qualifying value of the estate (for IHT purposes) is the net value after deducting any exemptions such as charity donations

So the figures are before the deduction of any IHT

Comment

Just a couple more questions please.
                      Any answers would be much appreciated.
                      Do the administrator/solicitors have to inform beneficiaries that they are a beneficiary in an estate?
                      Is there a time frame once their whereabouts are known to inform them?
                      Is there a time frame for a beneficiary to dispute the valuation of the estate.?
                      Can a beneficiary ask to look at the accounts for the estate?
                      Who would they contact regarding the accounts, the Administrator of the estate or the solicitors representing Administrator

Comment

Although there is no legal time limit it is good practice for the executor/administrator to inform beneficiaries of their inheritance as soon as possible
                        Beneficiaries of the residual of an estate are entitled to see estate accounts. Clearly these accounts will not be available until accounts are finalised. This includes the sale of the property. You could keep an eye on Rightmove to see if the property is advertised and eventually sold
                        If you know the Administrator's name, you should write to them in first instance and query who you should correspond with in the future.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X